PDA

View Full Version : amd: hot cpu question

ninoaniceto
11-21-2003, 12:44 PM
how hot is your amd cpu?
mine runs at 55 avg and goes up to 60-70 on long renders. is that good or bad? it goes higher on hot days aswell.

does it depend on the model? i have the 2000+

stephen2002
11-21-2003, 12:55 PM
It is a bit high but nothing to be worried about yet. Generally it is a good idea to try and keep the CPU below 60C but it won't burn up until it starts getting to 80C

ninoaniceto
11-21-2003, 01:04 PM
i also noticed that the speed slows down as it gets hotter. but thats just from my judgment anyone know anything about this?

i also had it stead at 45 with only one fan. i made little tubes blowing on the cpu. but it got too dirty so i removed it. it even stayed at 46 when it rendred. i feel proud about those tubes.

MimikOctopus
11-21-2003, 03:08 PM
the AMDs are hot, my dual opteron system sits @ 60 degrees C during idle, tho it doesn't get much hotter ever, the highest I've seen it go is 62. But yeah its kinda diffacult to burn your cpu. I got my 2500+ a couple months ago to upgrade my game machine and this being one of the first times I had ever put a cpu on a motherboard I didn't realise the groove in the sink, and it would fit both ways. Anywho it was on the wrong way and was running @ about 95C for about 10 mins and miraculously(sp?) escaped damage.

imashination
11-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Depends what its doing, how its designed and where it is. An Athlon should be idling at 40-60, depending how hot it is, how good the cooler is and so on. Under load, it is generally ok up to about 75.

At 85, most motherboards will automatically shut the system down. This happened a few times at trade shows as the athlon box was shoved into vent-less box under the table.

My p4 system here runs at 50 idle and can go up to 70 under load, but thats the price I pay for using a very quiet heat pipe system in a SFF case.

If it works, dont worry about it. Modern cpus and mobos will shut it off long before it breaks.

GregHess
11-21-2003, 05:47 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=50693&highlight=amd+and+temp

Solesurvivor
11-21-2003, 07:11 PM
erm, that's hot, i'm running thermalright ax-7 +thermaltake vario fan(80mm) on a 2500+, oc-ed @3000+ and temps are 34° idle, 50° under load, 60°during very long renders.
it's a barton.

elvis
11-21-2003, 10:19 PM
60-70 degrees and a 2000+? sounds to me like you are running the old palomino cores. they were quite toasty. if it's not a palomino and it's hitting those temps, i'd be worried.

my thoroughbred 2400+ (15x133=2000MHz) is currently overclocked to 11.5x190=2185MHz, and never gets over 55 degrees at full load.

the bartons are cooler again at lower speeds, but as clock and FSB/cache speeds grow, so do the temperatures, obviously.

AMD are introducing their 0.09u manufacturing process in february for opteron and athlon64 chips, which they estimate will bring their current 90W CPUs down to a much happier 45-50W, which means temperature drops in the newer chips. that is of course until clock speeds ramp up again, and the merry old cycle goes on its way.

Novakog
11-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by squeezit
i also noticed that the speed slows down as it gets hotter. but thats just from my judgment anyone know anything about this?

Because electricity conducts better in colder enviroments (transistors do use electrical currents right?)? I don't know, just taking a guess...

MadMax
11-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Those numbers being quoted are all way to high.

My Athlon 2500+ overclocked on an nForce2 board runs at about 38c idle, and rarely goes over 46c under heavy load running 24/7

AT 55c I'd be very concerned. at 60c - 65c I'd be extremely worried.

There are a number of reasons why your temps are so high. improper application of thermal paste. Wrong type of thermal paste, lousy fan, lousy heatsink.

I got an SLK-800 from eBay for 33.00, and a couple of people have quoted a great deal for like 29.00 on the SLK-900.

ninoaniceto
11-22-2003, 11:08 AM
im pretty sure i didnt put the pase on wrong.
the heat sink and fan are the amd standard
everyone said up to 75 is ok. are they wrong?

anyways, its on a steady 55 and goes to 60-68 on renders.

thanks for the reps

MadMax
11-22-2003, 04:30 PM
trust me here, that is way too hot.

elvis
11-22-2003, 11:23 PM
bah. 65 is well within the safety region.

what sort of ambient temperatures do you work in, MadMax? here in australia 30-40 degree C days are not uncommon in summer as the norm. some days even creep up to 45 depending on where you are in the country.

CPUs are not designed to live only in air-conditioned offices with 25 degree ambient temperatures. internal cores can happily hit 80 degrees without damaging the chip. that translates to roughly 10 degrees less (70 deg) at the external level.

elvis
11-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by MadMax
My Athlon 2500+...

and also remember that the 2500+ barton is one of the (if not THE) coolest AMD chips around. palominos especially were much hotter as the norm, as were the higher-clocked tbred chips.

RusMan
11-23-2003, 12:55 AM
I think your is kanda hot.
Don't want to highjack (spell?) your thread but when I first installed my CPU about 2.5 years ago, idle it was about 32-35 degrees, and about 40 at high load. But now idle is 46-48 and when I play games or render it's about 55, what could be the problem? I have an Athlon 1.33Ghz not overclocked, volcano 6cu heatsink and fan, would reinstalling Fan fix that. Oh and I've also changed the case, and maybe I moved the fan or something.:shrug:

ninoaniceto
11-23-2003, 05:34 PM
i think im getting hot. :D
thanks for the reps, i think i'll go with the positive answers and leave it. i dont really wanna have to go allthrough putting it on and everything. anyways, i built the case (well modified it -window) and put together this piece of thing for only 500$AUS. so dont really care if it dies on me. and i dont think it will. my pii is on all day. its lasted me 7 years and still going strong - im using it right now.

stephen2002
11-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by RusMan
I think your is kanda hot.
Don't want to highjack (spell?) your thread but when I first installed my CPU about 2.5 years ago, ... Oh and I've also changed the case, and maybe I moved the fan or something.:shrug:

Changing the case would do it; different airflow. Thermal compound dosn't last forever either. Some people like to remove their heat sinks and re-apply thermal goop every year or so. Since your system isn't overheating yet I wouldn't bother with it.

MadMax
11-24-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by elvis
bah. 65 is well within the safety region.

what sort of ambient temperatures do you work in, MadMax? here in australia 30-40 degree C days are not uncommon in summer as the norm. some days even creep up to 45 depending on where you are in the country.

I have a numer of systems in an uncooled room temperature space that gets very hot in the summer, in sounthern California.

And to save space replying to your next post, I could boast the same types of temps with Palomino as well.

elvis
11-24-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by MadMax
And to save space replying to your next post, I could boast the same types of temps with Palomino as well.

using stock AMD cooling?

GregHess
11-24-2003, 12:33 PM
After tons of previous arguments on stock vs aftermarket cooling...I finally went and actually purchased a retail 2400+ Athlon XP.

Yup, little warranty slip of paper and everything.

The heatsink looks like a old style coolermaster, with a rough unpolished copper base, with a tightly packed alumnium fin array on top, with a semi-loud fan. (When compared to 80mm fans).

Best temps I could get where in the upper 40 C's (ambient about 25-26C).

I slapped on a thermalright SLK800 (older model), and the idle dropped to the low-mid 30's.

The system did however run fine with the stock amd heatsink...it just ran hotter then I like my systems to run (in the mid 50's under load).

I'm much like mr madmax...the cooler the system runs, the less problems it'll give you in the future. (I try to shoot for low 40's under load).

MadMax
11-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by elvis
using stock AMD cooling?

Suggesting the term stock cooling is a bit pointless.

First off, all CPU vendors retial box cooling puts crap heatsinks in them. There are thousands of alternatives from hundreds of companies out there.

I have ALWAYS purchased soemthing more to my liking and it is obvious from reading various forums that manufacturer provided heatsinks are not exactly popular items.

I think it more realistic to say proper cooling since stock doesn't implicitly mean that it is adequate.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.