PDA

View Full Version : Recent graduate with sloppy portfolio/reel, any suggestions?

Pngwyn
04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
So I am a recent graduate from Washington, the school I went to didn't have a program designated towards 3D so I ended up crafting my own of what courses they had. I now graduated with a BS and I am almost 100% sure my portfolio and my technical skills need some touching up before I start looking for jobs.

I am considering going to Gnomon in California and taking courses for maybe 6 months to a year, do you guys think this is a good idea? I'm also struggling with what I should be taking, I am most interested in character animation, but would it be more beneficial for job searching to be well-versed in more than just one aspect of the 3D pipeline?

Any input would be really appreciated!

DDiego
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey Pngwyn,

(i apologize for any grammar mistakes)

I'm dont really know any schools in the US where you can polish your skills/portfolio, but if you're willing to look in other countries here in vancouver there are a few schools that you can attend to, such as VFS, Think Tank, AI, etc. Personally im currently attending Think Tank, its quite pricey but they have a really good program overall. Theres a few people who came here for the same reason that you have, just to polish their portfolio and instead of taking the whole course they're on a different program thats meant for people who just need to improve their skills instead of having to take all of the basic courses all over again in 1 year (you could always do that if you wanted to as there are some people who chose to). The instructors will tell you depending on your skill level which program you should consider taking, and i can honestly tell you that they wont try to trick you or anything as they just want to help, its a small school so everyone in the school knows each other.

I dont really want to make it sound like you should only look at this one, but at least in vancouver when i was looking for a school this one was the one that seemed the better one overall.

You could always attempt to get better on your own, thats always an option.

Good luck with everything :thumbsup:

csmallfield
04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
submit it in the critique section, or just post a link in this thread and people can give you the feedback you need. That will really help you to focus on what you need to do next.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.