PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Collection Error

DustinBrown
04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm running into a garbage collection issue. I suspect the cause is a function I made which loops through meshes in my scene and automatically creates materials and fetches the proper texture maps. It's a pretty involved process - switching between SME and Compact ME to perform various operations, loading TGA files, etc.

I don't know how to find out, for certain, if this is the function that's causing the garbage collection error, but my gut tells me it is. The error occurs when I load the next scene to run the script on. I have over a hundred scene files I need to run the script on. I'm currently having to shut Max down between scene files, which sucks.

http://www.dustinbrown.com/wip/temp/msgc.jpg

I've tried adding gc() at the end of the function I believe to be the culprit, but that doesn't seem to have helped, I still the get error when I open the next scene file.

At this point I'm looking for suggestions of more surgical methods to avoid these sorts of errors. I've read the help doc's pages on memory management and garbage collection, which is good information. Also, this thread seems helpful:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=98&t=357942&highlight=garbage

Bobo's comment about "Possible causes: getting a mesh value inline or again and again without deleting it manually after the use, incremental string and array appending operations, bitmap value definitions inside the loop etc." has me interested in learning how to perform some of these manual operations to manage the memory profile for the script.

denisT
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
first of all:
#1 how much initial heap allocation memory for max scripts do you have?
#2 do you open bitmaps during the script run?
#3 do you free opened bitmaps before loading new file?
#4 do you reset max file before loading the new one?

DustinBrown
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reply.

print heapSize
23373864L

I'm not sure if bitmaps are being "opened" or not. To fetch the bitmap I'm using:

skinDiff = bitmapTexture filename:(maxFilePath+nnn+"color.tga")

Is that considered "opening" a bitmap? I don't see a bitmap selection dialog open when the script runs. I think it's just using the path and filename info I give it to go directly to the file.

Again, I'm not sure what is considered "opening" a bitmap, but no I'm not doing anything specifically to free bitmaps. According to the docs, gc does this among other things.

I have tried this and I still get the garbage collection error.

denisT
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM

print heapSize
23373864L

I'm not sure if bitmaps are being "opened" or not. To fetch the bitmap I'm using:

skinDiff = bitmapTexture filename:(maxFilePath+nnn+"color.tga")

Is that considered "opening" a bitmap? I don't see a bitmap selection dialog open when the script runs. I think it's just using the path and filename info I give it to go directly to the file.

Again, I'm not sure what is considered "opening" a bitmap, but no I'm not doing anything specifically to free bitmaps. According to the docs, gc does this among other things.

I have tried this and I still get the garbage collection error.

#1 you have to add initial memory to be allocated. Go to the preference settings and set maxscript initial heap allocation to ~128 Mbytes
#2 you are opening bitmaps. so...
#3 free old bitmaps before loading new file. use freeSceneBitmaps() for that.
#4 try to do resetMaxFile() and DON'T do any gc()

DustinBrown
04-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll give that a shot, thank you!

jedie
04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm running into a garbage collection issue.

http://www.dustinbrown.com/wip/temp/msgc.jpg

I had the same error some time ago... I haven't any bitmap stuff in the scene. It allways happens if i use "reset max". It was depending on which scene was open.

Solution: startup a fresh max, merge all objects from the problematic scene.

DON'T do any gc()
Is this a general tip? I use it on almost all scripts at the end...

denisT
04-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Is this a general tip? I use it on almost all scripts at the end...
reset the max scene does do garbage collection. we are looking for the most stable solution for the batch process. i just don't want to do gc two times in this case.

DustinBrown
05-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Apologies for the necro thread, but I'm still having GC problems and I believe I've narrowed the problem down to SME.