PDA

View Full Version : How to create an object from hypervoxels?

IronGoblin
11-21-2003, 05:24 AM
Hi there.

Im at it again. A couple of new questions this time.

Does anyone know if there is a way to create a polygonal model based on hypervoxels?

I had two solutions for this one. One was to go into modeler and make a ball with the diameter of the hypervoxel "blob". And then pointclone this with the point object used to make the hypercoxels. This worked quite well, but the object got too complex to work with (to many intersecting polygons).

The other was using metaballs with the same diameter as the hypervoxels and point clone this using the pointobject. But this only gave me lots of new points, and no metaball surface. So it didnt work either.

So if anyone have any suggestions on this then please let me know.

The other question i have is this. Is it possible to pointclone an object and have it rotated according to that vertex' normal? (i know a single vertex havent got a normal, but using surronding polygons it should be possible to calculate a median normal for that vertex....right?)

Hope someone has an answer for this one too.

Keep on truckin'

aurora
11-21-2003, 01:14 PM
I'm working on a mini-tut that will cover a way to do this for a different thread. Send me a Personal message with your EMail address and I'll send it to you when I get it done. Be warned I came down with the flu and I don't thnk I'll get anything done today but take a look at this thread for a quick rundown.
From geometry to hypervoxels (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104302)

IronGoblin
11-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Just to clarify.

What im after is a way to create an object from my hypervoxels. I need an object (that looks like the "object" the hypervoxels create) that i can use in modeler as a reference. This object is gonna be a reference when i try to position other smaller objects on my hypervoxel render.

So anyone got a solution to how i should do this?

keep on truckin'

leigh
11-22-2003, 03:06 PM
The only program that I have seen that can do this REALLY well is XSI :shrug:

Chewey
11-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Think in reverse. Have your final object mesh emit hypervoxels (you'll have to envelope the mesh's visability on and off to match your desired effect), render out your frames and play them back in reverse order. This way you could for example have a pool of water jump up to form an organic mesh. You just need to plan out the hypervoxel events properly (birth and death rate etc.) versus the visability of the mesh object.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.