PDA

View Full Version : Maya Boolean Problem,

rebrov
11-21-2003, 05:13 AM
Hi, all.

As far as I know, Maya Booleaned objects are much more clean than max model. It won't have extra lines on the booleaned obj.

But When I boolean a Maya object, I can only boolean no more than 5 steps for on object. The more complex of the surface, the less steps I can bollean.

Is there anyone have the same problem?

bigbad
11-21-2003, 05:24 AM
Yes the booleans are very limited in maya. Canīt do that much.

Dont use booleans its a bad thing and no good way to model.
It wont have them extra lines but it will have them extra vertices.
So it wont come out a clean mesh out of that.

woodwoox
01-14-2004, 05:34 PM
same thing with me

error message pop up

problem in ResolveNonSolidShell

monsitj
01-14-2004, 06:37 PM
my suggestion is try to avoid it ,
if the boolean is the only one last choice for you
after boolean , try to delete history , and then boolean again?
or after boolean export to obj and re import and boolean again,
( is it nurb boolean or polygon?)

woodwoox
01-14-2004, 06:57 PM
polygon

ill post picture of my house and my separate window, i want make union boolean but the error appear like quoted in previouse post.

any tips ?

Shayder
01-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Booleans seem to be a good thing until they don't work.

Why shouldn't we use them and what are our alternatives?

I like using them but they do present some problems later down the line it seems. What is a better way to cut a hole(s) into a ploygon?

misterdi
01-15-2004, 08:48 AM
One suggestion when you need to use Maya boolean.
Try to avoid successive boolean operation, if you need to make 3 holes, don't do boolean with each cutting object. Combine first the three cutting object and use the result for a single boolean operation. Usually this will give you more predictive result.

Other suggestion is, always clean-up construction history before you do boolean, and make sure that you have clear definition of both object.

By the last statement imagine if you have a 2 x 2 x 2 cube and do boolean with a cylinder with 2 unit height you might not getting the result. Make sure that the cylinder is higher than the cube to get predictable result.

Undseth
01-15-2004, 10:33 PM
From the back of my head, why not extract a selective part of a bigger mesh and do boolean with that smaller polymesh? And then combine and merge it with the main mesh afterwards.

MikeRhone
01-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by misterdi
One suggestion when you need to use Maya boolean.
Try to avoid successive boolean operation, if you need to make 3 holes, don't do boolean with each cutting object. Combine first the three cutting object and use the result for a single boolean operation. Usually this will give you more predictive result.

Other suggestion is, always clean-up construction history before you do boolean, and make sure that you have clear definition of both object.

By the last statement imagine if you have a 2 x 2 x 2 cube and do boolean with a cylinder with 2 unit height you might not getting the result. Make sure that the cylinder is higher than the cube to get predictable result.

Also, make sure your normals are all facing the direction you expect them to be. Doing a Normals->Set to Face. Can clean up any strange dirtiness before hand. Booleans are not to be feared...! After you have performed a boolean, use the split poly tool to correctly layout your topology.

FYI: If I remember correctly the only reason Max's booleans suck is because they triangulate the model when you perform the operation. Maya doesn't do it automatically, but you have to clean it up yourself. (And what do you havea 50 sided polygon for anyways?? ;)

Check for:
Correct normals
No open faces or holes
Combine all objects to be done before you boolean instead of one after the other.
Ensure the geometry IS intersecting.

DID YOU KNOW: You can animate an object before you boolean, then once the boolean is applied you will see the operation happen over time!

Mike R

TD - Bardel Animation

stallion151
01-16-2004, 06:35 AM
you still animate after you boolean aswell, by going to your hypergraph, and focusing on the node that has the boolean. In there, there should be two shape nodes.

Boolean A\
&
Boolean B/

Yildiz
01-16-2004, 07:33 AM
i have a biig probelm at my hands here i need to cut and extract the faces oute of my surface with this lines ...

my main problem is what ever i do th whole mesh dissapears when its done ? .... how god is that on a four finger scale ?

here you can see my mesh and lines ... ie tried to cut the surface down to a tiny piece but it wont work better ..

Prev.
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/1.gif
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/2.gif
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/3.gif
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/4.gif

anyone might a havea idea :lightbulb how to do this with or withoute bolean ... and remembet this is just a fourth of my mesh.

Peace :buttrock:

misterdi
01-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Aarrghh, that is scary. I don't think boolean is the way to do the task.

In softimage3D, there is a function called mergeGeometry which actually like projecting curves into a polymesh geometry.

I wonder if someone can write a plug-ins to do that in maya.

Basically it ray-casting every vertex in the curves down to polymesh, and from the ray intersections with the polymesh it will split the polygons.

TheWraith
01-16-2004, 04:03 PM
make sure you have solid geometry just as the error message says. make sure all the geometry is manifold. do a poly cleanup and clean up non manifold geometry. weld any overlaying vertices and make sure you don't have any faces missing where there need to b faces. ie. if you make a cube, delete a face and boolean the cube with something... you will get errors. also remember, maya is not a solid modeler

Houkah
01-16-2004, 04:06 PM
could u maybe convert your surface to nurbs then project the curves on the surface? After that maybe detach the pieces and then convert back to poly?

JasonA
01-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by misterdi
Aarrghh, that is scary. I don't think boolean is the way to do the task.

In softimage3D, there is a function called mergeGeometry which actually like projecting curves into a polymesh geometry.

I wonder if someone can write a plug-ins to do that in maya.

Basically it ray-casting every vertex in the curves down to polymesh, and from the ray intersections with the polymesh it will split the polygons. There is a similiar function for polygons in 3ds max called "shapemerge". Its an incredibly handy modeling tool and I'm quite surprised there's not equivilent in maya's polygon modleing toolset.

I really wish someone could write a plugin like that (actually I really wish alias would just implement it)

TheWraith
01-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Yildiz
i have a biig probelm at my hands here i need to cut and extract the faces oute of my surface with this lines ...

my main problem is what ever i do th whole mesh dissapears when its done ? .... how god is that on a four finger scale ?

here you can see my mesh and lines ... ie tried to cut the surface down to a tiny piece but it wont work better ..

Prev.
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/1.gif
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/2.gif
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/3.gif
http://nemesis.virtuelldesign.se/temp/4.gif

anyone might a havea idea :lightbulb how to do this with or withoute bolean ... and remembet this is just a fourth of my mesh.

Peace :buttrock:

it looks like you're tryin' to boolean a flat object. like u did a displacement to poly which created a plane basically. a plane has no thickness. yours has height, length and width but still no thickness. try extruding the faces of the plane all out together at the same time with a minimal amount, like 0.001 and then try your boolean operations. b forwarned of the heavy geometry load this will create though. it might be better to use a layered shader with an opacity map.

TheWraith
01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
o, and one more thing now that i think of it, make sure you have enough divisions when you boolean. if you have a huge shape and are going to boolean a relatively small object, often times the cut will be performed but you won't see a hole as the geometry doesn't have enough divisions to tessalate correctly. but thats not the problem either one of you are having, just popped into my head.

Yildiz
01-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by TheWraith
it looks like you're tryin' to boolean a flat object. like u did a displacement to poly which created a plane basically. a plane has no thickness. yours has height, length and width but still no thickness. try extruding the faces of the plane all out together at the same time with a minimal amount, like 0.001 and then try your boolean operations. b forwarned of the heavy geometry load this will create though. it might be better to use a layered shader with an opacity map.

ive tried a bunch of things there ... i did Surface Extrude un the lines moved then down over the grouond before i did the bolean
it didnt work .. only bolean that did work i put insicde a single pollygon if i do a bolean crossing one or manny pollylines the whole mesh disapeares ..

Yildiz
01-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Houkah
could u maybe convert your surface to nurbs then project the curves on the surface? After that maybe detach the pieces and then convert back to poly?

how do i convert a surface like that in to nurbs ?
it takes me aboute 30 min to just open the file ...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.