PDA

View Full Version : Writting DVD video on a CD...help

ryankittleson
01-20-2002, 10:56 AM
I have a question for you all. I would like to distribute my demo reel on DVD, but would rather not buy a DVD-R drive and the expensive blank DVD disks. since my reel is only a few short minutes, it should fit on a normal CD. So my question is, can I burn a CD with DVD video and will it play in a normal DVD player as if it were on a DVD disk? I would test it out myself, but I don't have a CD-R drive or DVD player, but will buy one if I can find out that it works.

Thanks!

Chewey
01-21-2002, 12:57 PM
I'd recommend just finding a way to put your demo on vhs tape. While dvd players are everywhere, many places don't have them set up for viewing demos. You want to make it easy for your demo to be viewed.

Btw, many dvd players(older ones especially) don't play the VCD format files (video cd) burned onto cds. Plus they look like crap. Many new dvd players, even newer models, don't support the SVCD format. VCD and SVCD are the two formats you would be able to burn to a cd using a regular cd burner.

But even if you purchased one of the newer relatively inexpensive dvd burners and burned your demo reel onto dvd, it's not a good idea to use it as the sole distribution medium. (not to mention that getting your video onto dvd using these econo burners isn't quite as simple as pushing the burn button.)

Find a used dps pvr unit on ebay for around $300
and that will provide you great video quality for outputing tga animation sequences to tape. Works with W2K but probably not with XP.

ryankittleson
01-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Ok, that's what I needed to know. I do have VHS copies, but it would be a lot cheaper to burn CDs. but it doesn't look like it would be very compatible for a while.

benthroop
01-30-2002, 01:42 AM
Would it not be possible to burn .VOB files onto a CD-R? Would a DVD player know that a CD-R was not a DVD despite the possibility that the file structure is the same?

There are DVD authoring packages as well as some less reputable DVD-ripping/converting apps that may do this... It's a question I've been kind of asking myself for a while.

You may want to poke around the whole DVD ripping scene and see what you come up with. I know of FlaskDVD and CladDVD in particular, so do some google searches with those terms and see what you come up with.

ben

MadMax
01-31-2002, 09:01 PM
I could list a ton of resources for DVD/VCD/SVCD burning and utilities, but the simple answer is no, it wont work that way.

Even a lot of the decks that support VCD and SVCD don't recognize ALL media. Even the brand of disc you use to burn it is questionable. I have seen one brand work while another brand wil not in the same machine.

Also, to the original poster, check around, you can find 5 minute VHS tapes at reasonable prices that are perfect for that short demo reel.

I don't recall the name off the top of my head, but I think there is a company called markertek that sells hardware and tapes.......

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.