PDA

View Full Version : MASTERS TRIBUTE: Moebius & Ralph McQuarrie: FAQ

RobertoOrtiz
04-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Post your questions for the MASTERS TRIBUTE: Moebius & Ralph McQuarrie tribute mini challenge.
-R

MGC
04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey Roberto,

Do you know when this challenge will start? and how long will be the time reserved for modeling?

Thank you

RobertoOrtiz
04-07-2012, 08:29 PM
We will go live in about two weeks.

Usually I give people 1 month and two weeks.
(But I might give some more time for this one)

-R

Scote
04-08-2012, 02:37 AM
I think 2 months is ok, because if many peoples from school (like me) want to enter a challenge for the start: July is a good time before school return in September.

I think you can unlock all the sub-categories of entries for that challenge Roberto.

For me I plan a Diorama for sure

mlager8
04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I've never done any of the mini challenges before, but think I would like to participate in this one. Are there official rules for this challenge yet?
Do we need to recreate a scene or character exactly?
Are there different entries for just the model and a model rendered in a scene?

WyattHarris
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Roberto will post all of the rules closer to the start.

Typically, you can create a character or a scene and you can follow it exactly or deviate and do your own interpretation. You then have the one entry that can be in multiple categories. It's all very loose but anything specific will be addressed by Roberto.

RageOfAges
04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Hey everyone, been a while. I don't have a question, just wanted to drop in and say I might go at this one.

Cheers!

-rage

mlager8
04-18-2012, 12:52 PM
ok thanks wyatt

Mfenix
05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
hey roberto, as am a newbie here i wanted to know if i can participate in more than 1 thing,like Single creature entry as well as some busts..and if yes,shud i make two different posts there in the forum or single? thanks buddy..

Silard
05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey , it #34 , but everyone calling his thread #38 , this could be confusing when we'll check the archive . Which one than ?

robo3687
05-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Hey , it #34 , but everyone calling his thread #38 , this could be confusing when we'll check the archive . Which one than ?

oh crap....i think that is indeed my bad....

i'm not even sure why i put #38....lol...i even mentioned the number 38 in my first post....

this is awkward....

perhaps Roberto can go through and fix up the titles...

Scote
05-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Ya he can.. He help me in the past with my threat rename problem

Mfenix
05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
hey guys can i enter for more than one category..if yes..then it shud be in the same thread or shud i make another one?

RobertoOrtiz
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
hey guys can i enter for more than one category..if yes..then it shud be in the same thread or shud i make another one?

For that you need multiple threads.
Good luck

vincent1
05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Hi Roberto,

Since there are at least five categories, is there a best model award (as in personalised banner) for each category or just an overall best model?

Will be kind of odd if one enters the Bust category for example, puts his/her soul into it, win that category and have nothing to show for it; like in the previous competition.

Just want a clarification, thanks.

WyattHarris
05-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Sometimes they are one and the same. In other words you could win best bust and best model.
It's happened before.

Mfenix
05-11-2012, 03:44 AM
thanks guys..good luck to all :)

DByeable
05-15-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi, I'm new to this and just wanted to clarify one of the rules if thats ok...

You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.

I'm not planning on using an existing model for the final piece but, are we allowed to use one for reference only?
i.e. Posing a pre existing figure to build mechanical pieces/armour around, without using any components of the exisiting mesh.

A more specific question...
Would posing a male figure to build Darth Vader or C-3PO around be allowed?

Cheers

Scote
05-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Ya of course man, personnaly I use rotocopies for my posing.

Many use existing basemesh (even if I don't think it's politicly corect)

DByeable
05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Ya of course man, personnaly I use rotocopies for my posing.

Many use existing basemesh (even if I don't think it's politicly corect)

cheers dude, I was using a zbrush figure to built meshes around, and then realised it might conflicted with the rules, thanks for clearing that up.

Scote
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
The main goal of the HMC challenge is to sculpt in a short time a great model.

In the rules, you have to start from scratch.

But in real life, if you want to be quick in a short time, you get a basemesh for an existing model if you don't sculpt basemesh in 3 hours.

so ya the rules are confuse. But I use the Roberto rules. I start from scratch and I practice my speed modeling with it.

Silard
05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
The rules says you can't use any model or basemesh which has been made before .

Scote
05-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Ya, but I know that many people start with a basemesh.

You should start from scrath.. that's the difficulty in this cahllenge.

Silard
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm always make everything form a scratch . Ehm , should update my thread soon as I get some work done .

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.