View Full Version : Hellboy Preview Trailer

bentllama
11-21-2003, 12:52 AM
HELLBOY PREVIEW TRAILER

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808404362&cf=trailer

Wicked. Awesome.

My Fault
11-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Hellboy is a great comic by one of the most talented guys around. I'm not entirely sure about Hellboy's makeup, but Perlman is so damned cool it probably won't matter.

Can not wait.

heavyness
11-21-2003, 01:33 AM
damn cool!

lots of good comic book action. love the part were Hellboy punchs the car.

bentllama
11-21-2003, 01:58 AM
"you missed"

ha!

I am really excited about this flick!

Now I need to find a higher res trailer...

chudofsinister
11-21-2003, 02:09 AM
hellboy looks alittle short to me.

SheepFactory
11-21-2003, 02:13 AM
Ok i have to see this movie NOW! :D

looks perfect!

Vushvush
11-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Hahaha... Dimmu Borgir are in the sound track.

It's about damn Black Metal from Norway made it mainstream :)

Neil
11-21-2003, 02:29 AM
interesting.

I like Hellboy a lot. Not too cartooney or over the top.... but the rest of the movie looks like it's headed in the direction of the Streetfighter Movie. (which isn't a good thing in case you didn't know)

Gein
11-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Vushvush
Hahaha... Dimmu Borgir are in the sound track.

It's about damn Black Metal from Norway made it mainstream :)

If one band is trying, it's Dimmu Borgir. That's why they are hated on the underground black metal scene. :)

Gein

Matt Leishman
11-21-2003, 05:07 AM
could I be happier?!?!?! Hell no!! (no pun intended :) )

craiggulow
11-21-2003, 05:54 AM
PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

don't suck.

headengine
11-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Bentllama - apparently the Quicktime of this hits Sunday/Monday, no doubt someone will be on the ball here... :)

satanatron
11-21-2003, 11:43 AM
bring it on

dmonk
11-21-2003, 04:47 PM
This does look great. I have higth hopes for this one!:thumbsup:

mattregnier
11-21-2003, 06:41 PM
It reallyl looks as if Holllywood has found the right equation for book > movie adaptation. *goosebumps as a fanboy watching the trailer. It's a wonderful time to be both a comic book and movie fanboy :)

RobertoOrtiz
11-25-2003, 02:54 PM
UPDATE!!!

Now in Quicktime!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/hellboy/

-R

bentllama
11-25-2003, 05:58 PM
This is soooooooo gonna rock!

azazel
11-25-2003, 06:44 PM
I'm not yet convinced ;) I gonna see it, but not sure if i'll like it.

btw, this shot when Hellboy crashes this car with his stone fist..... beautiful :)

headengine
11-25-2003, 08:10 PM
HOOOOOOOO HAAAA! This is gonna be cool. Damn I hope I just didn't build my hopes up there... :eek:

CreativeM1nd
11-25-2003, 09:16 PM
No adaptation is the same....

I am looking forward to seeing more of this. They show a good appatizer but.. I wont make any more comments until the main course is served.

red_oddity
11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Kay, i've not read any of the comics...and i don't particularly like all these dumb hero flicks that pop up lately (they all are unmotivated unreal characters to whom i feel absolutly no connection when watching)

But, and don't flame me for this, why does the guy look like a big orange latex doll with ZERO expression??? Or is that the point?

P_T
11-26-2003, 12:53 PM
ooh the chick with the blue fiery hands... :drool:

i thought hellboy's costume shoulda been better than that but it looks quite promising overall. Never having read the comic before i thought he was wearing a pair of goggles until my classmate told me they're his horns, They look kinda too soft and smooth.

btw... i dunno the name of the actor who plays hellboy but isn't he Reinhardt from Blade2?

playmesumch00ns
11-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Yup that's him. I can't remember his name either. It's like "Okay we need a big, cigar-smoking tough guy witha bad attitude...get me that bloke from Blade 2 !"

He played the same character in Alien Ressurection too. And isn't that him in the Stella Artois advert on the boat?

P_T
11-26-2003, 01:46 PM
oh he's cool in Alien Resurrection as well... one thing i remember the most about that movie is his line after Ripley destroyed her failed clones... "Must be a chick thing..." LMAO :applause:

Praetus
11-26-2003, 02:55 PM
The actors name is Ron Perlman or something like that. He's also in a French movie called "The City of Lost Children" which you should also pick up if you have the chance. It's really good. Also has some good special effects in it during some scenes. As for Hellboy's horns being so smooth and soft, he sands them down in the comics. If you notice the last shot in the trailer, his horns are growing back.

My Fault
11-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Instructions

1. Find local comic book store
2. Go to comic book store (avoid geeky sweaty comic guys, hang around the cool hot comic chicks)
3. Buy Hellboy comics
4. Go home
5. Read Hellboy comics
6. Start believing that Mike Mignola is a god and love Hellboy
7. Watch trailer again and get giddy with excitement
8. Get pissed off that movie doesn't come out tomorrow
9. Get a cup of coffee
10. Repeat steps 5 - 9 repeatedly, don't forget to take occasional bathroom break from all the coffee
:beer:

Neil
11-26-2003, 05:01 PM
The trips will only take about 10 minutes, because the comics are only like 15 pages long. High quality, but little content (and this applies to almost all comics on the shelves nowadays)

My Fault
11-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Neil
The trips will only take about 10 minutes, because the comics are only like 15 pages long. High quality, but little content (and this applies to almost all comics on the shelves nowadays)

You kids today, with your short attention spans and your sizzle my dizzle. Back in my day, we took 12 minutes to read a comic. We also wore onions on our trousers, as that was the style in those days. Now where'd I put my walker, I need to go chase some whippersnappers off of my lawn! :drool:

Neil
11-26-2003, 06:00 PM
and in your days 'old man' you payed 50 cents for it.

JulianHo
11-26-2003, 06:35 PM
I can't believe no one remembered Ron Perlman as the guy who played the lion guy from a late 80s show called "Beauty and the Beast".

That was great make-up.

red_oddity
11-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Neil

Well, my guess is the movie will be true to the comic then....sorry...but i 've had it with these empty shelled movies which drive purely on 2 things...effects (nothing wrong with that offcourse to a certain extend), fanboys, (who ultimately ruin my movie going experience by sitting behind me and yapping about how bad this was done and how it doesn't compare to the comic...'that didn't happen in the comic'...'he isn't supposed to be in here yet'...'this isn't how *fill in dorky hero name* he met with *fill in name of sad spandex wearing sidekick with inferiority complex*'...

etc...offcourse...one can always hope that it will be as good as when Tim Burton showed us the first Batman...

MarkusM
11-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Real interesting... real interesting. Can't wait to see more of this one. I am curious what del Toro can bring to the story. He does such fantastic character work on the other side of the camera.

My Fault
11-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by red_oddity
Well, my guess is the movie will be true to the comic then....sorry...but i 've had it with these empty shelled movies which drive purely on 2 things...effects (nothing wrong with that offcourse to a certain extend), fanboys, (who ultimately ruin my movie going experience by sitting behind me and yapping about how bad this was done and how it doesn't compare to the comic...'that didn't happen in the comic'...'he isn't supposed to be in here yet'...'this isn't how *fill in dorky hero name* he met with *fill in name of sad spandex wearing sidekick with inferiority complex*'...

etc...offcourse...one can always hope that it will be as good as when Tim Burton showed us the first Batman...

You've obviously never read Hellboy then. There is much more to him then effects and fanboys. True he isn't always the most talkative character in the world, but rather then reveal everything about him in one story, Mignola has taken the time to develop Hellboy through many story arcs. Which is how it should be. Don't tell me what the character thinks, show me by his actions in various situations.

Now, I'm not sure if the movie will be like this.... but I'm keeping a good thought.

PhilOsirus
11-28-2003, 05:48 PM
I never read Hellboy myself, so I think I am part of the crowd that can judge wether this movie will attract enough people or not when it is released.

This isn't Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men or Will Smith. It's... Hellboy, which almost no one knows of. It shows it is comic book-ish by the look of the characters and the concept shown, but since it's not the traditional well-known comics the avarage joe will not even want to see this movie. There is a diffrence between someone who never reads comics and goes to see Spider Man and the same person going to watch Hellboy. Spider Man is an icon in our society just like Superman, Hellboy is nobody. I don't see how this movie could attract anymore people than LXG, it might be less.

I'll probably like it, it looks fun, but I don't judge movies as harshly and with a mind as closed as the avarage movie goer.

beaker
11-29-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
I don't see how this movie could attract anymore people than LXG, it might be less.
LXG still pulled in around 70 million in the US and 170 million world wide. So it still made money. Even if it equals LXG's US numbers only, it will still make money. You don't have to pull in Spiderman numbers in to be successfull.

PhilOsirus
11-29-2003, 05:34 PM
True, apparently there will be a sequel to LXG because it did well in Europe.

ChrisNoeth
11-29-2003, 10:19 PM
I like the trailer. It has no 'stupid' moments and maybe is a more serious comic attaptation.

Maybe a new hope for the entertainment cinema after such big flops like Matrix II and III.

Maybe a good trailer but bad movie... we will see.

- Chris

beaker
11-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Chris Noeth
Maybe a new hope for the entertainment cinema after such big flops like Matrix II and III.
Neither of the Matrix sequals were a big flops, both movies made over 300 million each. Which is 2x the cost of making both movies combined.

eliseu gouveia
11-30-2003, 02:35 AM
It looks so good in one´s resumé nowadays to trash Matrix 2/3, doesn´t it?:rolleyes:

My Fault
11-30-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by eliseu gouveia
It looks so good in one´s resumé nowadays to trash Matrix 2/3, doesn´t it?:rolleyes:

Almost as much as trashing Star Wars :rolleyes:

Cageman
11-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JulianHo
I can't believe no one remembered Ron Perlman as the guy who played the lion guy from a late 80s show called "Beauty and the Beast".

That was great make-up.

Yeah! I remember that! It was quite a cool show btw... He (the beast) had some cool powers as well, if I remember correctly...

Well, well... good old days... :)

Cageman
11-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by beaker
LXG still pulled in around 70 million in the US and 170 million world wide.

Hmm... It seems that I have missed something here... what the hell is LXG!? :) Never heard of it....

Cageman
11-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Ahhh... now I get it... LXG is The League of Extraodinary Gentlemen... I´ve only heard it be called The League... movietitles can be confusing sometimes... :)

ChrisNoeth
11-30-2003, 11:33 AM

What the...? I love Matrix I and I am not one of the guys who thought the other parts would be better than the first one. I still like some scenes of part II and III ... but where the hell is the 'storytelling'??? Where the emotions? Where are the good cuts of the movie? Where is some good acting? Where is Morpheus... I mean the great (superhuman) Morpheus everybody is looking up to? I think the Wachowskis had to much to do at the same time: Writing a script for 2 movies AND a computer game and then filming 2 movies AND the scenes for the game at the SAME time. I think they blew it.

It was not a secret these movies would make big money... but they are from a technical point of view NO GOOD movies and so they are 'flops' in my opinion.

Wanna see a good movie? Go to the following link and take a look what a single person with an artists heart and creativity can do and then think about the Matrix AND Star Wars sequels again:

http://www.keithlango.com/

Take a look at his short: "Evelyn" and you can see what Hollywood have lost.

Some good CGI effects don't make a good movie...

And because I talk about the missing stuff in movies... what the hell are you guys out there are thinking when you watch 'Michael Bay' movies like Bad Boys II for example. My friend works in a cinema and I watched the first 30 minutes of this movie. Now these 30 minutes are on the first place of my 'forever bad movie experience list'... what is a guy like MB thinking when he makes a movie like this? And why are people out there going and whatch that crap. It could be a popcorn flic when some cuts where a little slower, but with 50 cuts in a talk scene where your eyes can't follow the 2 persons talking because when you looked to one person the next cut follows and when you focused on the person again another cut comes... that is a big step in the wrong direction for moviemaking! Ask Sean Penn... he makes good ones!

Nemoid
11-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Go, and read all the astonishing Hellboy comic books.

Don't miss them!! They are very different from traditional superheroes banal comic books.

Hellboy its a great character indeed. and Mike Mignola, is one of the greatest comic book artists in the world with an unique style both in drawing and storytelling.

The stories of Hellboy are reunited in miniseries, like for example the first Seed of distruction written by Mignola and John Byrne. the origins of Hellboy are very cool. Nazis evoked him to use him like a weapon... but things didn't go exactly as they expected.

So probably in the movie there hopefully will be a great mix between Nazis and magic, demons and creatures and action, and if the movie will reach to respect the original spirit of the comic, then it will be a very good film.

snovak
11-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Wow.. that looks super cool..

soulburn3d
12-01-2003, 12:36 AM

Hahahahahahaha!!!! :thumbsup:

- Neil

ChrisNoeth
12-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by soulburn3d
Hahahahahahaha!!!! :thumbsup:

- Neil

I think YOU liked 'Bad Boys II', right!? :shrug:

EDIT: Ohh... and Neal... comparing to your favorite movie list from your website you should know what is the difference between a good movie and a movie like Matrix II and III.

Gamoron
12-01-2003, 01:00 PM
I've skimmed through the replies. But in case nobody has posted his name yet. He's Ron Perlman. Man he's a great actor and so many of you don't know his name. The Name of the Rose, City of Lost Children and Quest for Fire are some other good movies he was in. :rolleyes:

Nemoid
12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Good choice indeed.

soulburn3d
12-01-2003, 06:00 PM
>>I think YOU liked 'Bad Boys II', right!?

It was ok, but way too long.

>>EDIT: Ohh... and Neal... comparing to
>>your favorite movie list from your
>>website you should know what is the
>>difference between a good movie and a
>> movie like Matrix II and III.

You know, if you don't like a movie, it's totally fine to say you didn't like a movie, and the reasons why. The problem with matrix bashers (including you apparently) is it's not enough to state your opinion, you feel for some reason that anyone who doesn't share your opinion is somehow a lesser being. "oh, you should know the difference between a good and bad film", well, I feel I do know, and I liked the matrix 2 and 3. And if you think for some reason that makes me inferior to you, then that's very sad.

- Neil

ChrisNoeth
12-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by soulburn3d
You know, if you don't like a movie, it's totally fine to say you didn't like a movie, and the reasons why. The problem with matrix bashers (including you apparently) is it's not enough to state your opinion, you feel for some reason that anyone who doesn't share your opinion is somehow a lesser being. "oh, you should know the difference between a good and bad film", well, I feel I do know, and I liked the matrix 2 and 3. And if you think for some reason that makes me inferior to you, then that's very sad.

- Neil

I don't see me as a 'Matrix basher' because I love the first movie of that trilogy and I like parts AND the 'background' of part II and III... but I also see the potential of those last sequels and I see what the Wachowskis made of them and that's why I wrote 'flops'.
As you can read in my first post I only wrote about the parts as flops because that is my own opinion of those movies... I can't understand why someone is building up this great fantastic world and then focuses to much on technical things and not how to bring the 'feelings' to the viewer.
There is no emotion in the most new movies today... that is something I'm angry about. I know I can't compare the movies itself, but think about 'The Lord of the Rings' movies. They where all shot at once like the Matrix sequels but there are REAL emotions. They made it right.
This is my opinion and I know other people will see it different, but when someone is 'laughing' about me, like in the answers to my post, I feel free to write what I like and what I don't like.
I don't think of others who love those movies of 'lesser beings' but I'm angry they can't see the flaws of those movies and when nobody can see them WHY should somebody go back 'to the good old times' and make REALLY GREAT movies again? I can hear the bosses in Hollywood talk: "Hey, the people will watch it anyway why should we wait until there is a better script" or "Let's make part 2 and 3 at the same time to make more money out of it... who cares if the directors can't get it done ... the people will watch it anyway."

and filmmakers like 'Michael Bay' and watchers of their movies make the bosses think THAT is the look how a movie should be made because that is what brings money... that is what makes me sad.

- Chris

soulburn3d
12-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris Noeth:

>>but when someone is 'laughing'
>>about me, like in the answers to my
>>post, I feel free to write what I like
>>and what I don't like.

I wasn't actually laughing at you, sorry if it came across like that, I was laughing at the person's comments because it's totally true, there seems to be this bandwagon of hate that's directed at these two films, and I question how much of it is real and how much is just "going with the flow"

As an example, I recently had a few friends from LA up, and we were discussing films, and I mentionned the matrix sequels. Their answers were guarded, they liked aspects of it, it had some serious flaws, etc. I basically said "Well, I really liked them". Their eyes lit up, and said "Ya, I really liked it too, but I've been so bashed by people recently." It struck me it's just safer to say you hate them or say nothing at all because admiting you thought they were good is dangerous.

>>I don't think of others who love
>>those movies of 'lesser beings' but
>>I'm angry they can't see the flaws of
>>those movies

I can see the flaws just fine, but I also saw a lot of good, not just the effects, but the design, the sense of mood, and even the storyline and ideas presented. I didn't care much for some of the dialog and some of the acting was stale, and I agree with a friend of mine that the films went from a more personal story about Neo to more of an epic adventure, the story of Zion, and that transition could have been handled better. But I still feel both films were amazing, not as good as the first film, but worthy sequels.

- Neil

ChrisNoeth
12-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Neil I think we see it the same way then... the ' bandwagon of hate' is something I haven't thought of by posting my comments and to make it short this time :) ... I can see many good things on the Matrix sequels, like the unusual way the directors handled the maincharacters like Neo and Trinity. The ending of the third movie is far away from the normal Hollywood stuff... that's great. The cgi is great and the emotions are there when 'the kid' is opening that big door. I think all Matrix movies are better then the most sci-fi movies of the last year. I think the Wachowskis where pushed to make 2 movies and a video game at once and that is something I can't accept when I think about the outcome and the flaws that brought with it... so for me the sequels are 'flops' ... personal 'flops'. That could have been some real BIG movies... I mean something like the old 'Star Wars' Trilogy for the new Millennium but the pressure and the neverending story of 'fast Hollywood money' killed that hope. The Wachowskis are 'only humans' ;)

Now to 'Hellboy': I like the trailer but it is difficult to say if the movie will be good after seeing only the trailer. The comics are great and if the mood is brought to screen the movie will be one of a kind just like Hellboy is in the comicworld.

- Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.