PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED: closeup hi-res rock / stone pit

phleX
04-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Hello,

I need to render a vertical wall of rock like in a stone pit respectively a cuboid of rock seen from a frontal perspective. It's not a pile of rocks but one big solid rock with some cracks, creases, etc.

The image has to be photoreal and very hi-res, about 10k. The rock will be about 10m long.

I posted almost the same thread in the Vue forum, as I first thought Vue might be the right tool. I'm not very experienced in Vue, though, and I didn't come up with an efficient way to do this (I'm able to create a mountain terrain in Vue but this one's different).
At the moment I'm trying ZBrush but I have no experience with that, either. I'm afraid it would take me days for sculpting...

Like always it has to be done quick but I don't have a clue, which tool would be the most suitable for the task, so I thought, I'd ask if anyone is experienced with that kind of stuff and point me in the right direction.

At work I have Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Vue at my disposal.

Thanks, phleX

NightOwl3D
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi phleX,

If it just has to look like any old rock then I would go out with a nice digital camera a take a few pictures of the type of rock you need to model. Then from those pictures I would import a few into mudbox as a stencil and use that as a base for your sculpting. You'll get quite a decent look of creases and roughness along the surface which is a good starting point to add more detail using mudbox's usual sculpting tools. You can also use those pictures to project textures onto the rock.

phleX
04-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I just tried something similar.
I took some bump maps of stock rock textures that looked promising and used them as brush alpha in ZBrush.
Unfortunately the result isn't very pleasing.
I guess the little grain in the texture causes ZBrush to displace little spikes all over the brush strokes so that the textures' bigger structures almost don't show any effect.
Thus all my brushes (but also other brushes I found on the net) basically cause a grainy noise displacement.
Maybe some elaborate editing of the textures (like getting rid of the smaller struktures) would do the trick but all in all this would be very time consuming again.

Darkmalan
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Maybe this video tutorial will help if you have some spare cash and time...
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/tutorials/vmo01/

Its only $12 and 17 minutes long. I havent watched it but it does look like the solution to your problem for learning the process at least

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.