PDA

View Full Version : Blood & Roses Bar Fight, Eraserx (2D)

EraserX
11-20-2003, 05:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/44391/barfight_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/44391/barfight.jpg)

I just finished this a few days ago. Whaddya think?

Oh ya, I also used it in this full coloring tutorial if you're interested.

http://www.pensnpixels.com/tutorials/flatting.htm

Pencils by Mitch Byrd, Inks by Bobby Hickey, Colors by Me

Blood & Roses is Copyright & Trademark Bobby Hickey

Goro
11-20-2003, 05:17 PM
wow!!! This is impressive!
I love the detail in this pic! Nice coloring too!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad to be the first one replying on this thread!!!

phamtastic
11-21-2003, 06:28 AM
Oh I love mitch byrd! You definately gave his pencil work a coloring job it deserves. Great job!

Najd
11-21-2003, 11:21 AM
really cool work and Great tutorial ! :applause:

Lorecanth
11-21-2003, 12:55 PM
The character work is great and feels like it just stepped out of an animated film. However having it set up against a wall like that leaves it somewhat flat. I don't know if you'd be willing to do a radical change but what about putting it up against a saloon stage. I think compositionally it would add a lot to the piece, and take it to the next level.

Again great character work, maybe jjust a little more work on the background.

fellah
11-21-2003, 01:17 PM
wow! great characters, color and mood!

btw, that guy who make a toast with his whiskey glass reminds me of 'zeb macahan'(his personality) from the old western serie 'macahans'. at his young years :))

:thumbsup:

isaak
Very good work,post more!!!

mattregnier
This is totally great, Do you have a larger version to use as a wallpaper? :)

freshness
11-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Very cool picture! Nice coloring too.:thumbsup:
I love your tutorial, I'ts one of the best I've seen! Thanx, I've learned much:D

Blackhorse
11-21-2003, 01:42 PM
wow, the acting is so nice! so the color is!:thumbsup:

darnel25
11-21-2003, 02:08 PM
really really nice.

Wonderer
11-21-2003, 02:29 PM
cool!:bounce:

vintagetone
11-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Excellent!:bounce:

Ac0rN
11-21-2003, 03:14 PM
nice :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
11-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Excellent!

Atwooki
11-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Lovely character drawing, design and excellent understanding and execution of color 'saturation';

Everybody in this field of work should absorb your wonderful tutorial also; thanx for sharing :thumbsup:

Atwooki

NelsonInomvan
11-21-2003, 06:06 PM
yeah, that what i call a cool looking pic. You can feel the life coming from it, you can see the motion in your pic. Great job :thumbsup:

Boone
11-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Re: EraserX.

Now that is a fantastic idea!:applause:

The art work is brilliant and of a high standard. I'm with the fans!:beer:

However, if crit is welcome - I felt the Depth of the picture looked...um...flat. It might just be me...but don't worry - its really a fresh picture!

Now where's Cleveland Little and Gene Wilder...:bounce:

Feda
11-21-2003, 10:17 PM
A very dynamic piece of work! I agree that the wall could use some extra detail to give it a more complete feel. I've been trying to learn drawing like that for ages without any success. You lucky talented bastards;)

Atwooki
11-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Freda:
You lucky talented bastards

er....You lucky talented artists, please :rolleyes: ;)

Atwooki

robin
11-21-2003, 11:22 PM
hhmm

thanks a lot Eraserx, you tute is really helpful

im going to explore your technic.

:thumbsup: :bounce: :applause:

-R

jal
11-21-2003, 11:31 PM
luv the energy, man. ur color keeps getting better

emptyvoxel
11-22-2003, 12:25 AM
This is a beautifully drawn and colored image. I agree with the comments about the image seeming flat, and I am also trying to figure out what is happening with the boot of the woman who is kicking the man wearing the sombrero. It appears as though her boot is going through his head, and that he only has half an ear! I know that's a penciler's issue, but I keep staring at it wondering if I'm just looking at it in the wrong way.

Remarkable image none the less, and my new wallpaper.

-T

facial
11-22-2003, 02:23 AM
wow. impressive!
keep post up more.

EraserX
11-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Wow...thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I appreciate all the comments and critiques.

Hopefully, the tutorial will provide useful to some of you as well. I felt like all the coloring related tutorials around were focused on set-up and beginner steps, so I wanted to do something that gave potential colorists a little more meat to chew on.

keight
11-22-2003, 08:30 PM
From someone wanting to learn new things, thank you for the tut.

Peteleebe
11-22-2003, 10:11 PM
the feeling is like "street fighter", nice!!

GFX-Arts
11-23-2003, 07:24 AM
great work :)

EraserX
11-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks fellas! :)

cyrenevjacob
12-01-2003, 04:42 AM
Wow! Awesome coloring! Great artwork too! Looks fabulous!

DoLeeP
12-02-2003, 05:57 PM
great work
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

davidsloss
12-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Hey, very nice work! Great colors and poses on the characters.

Here's a crit--my eye keeps getting drawn into the middle upper half of the image, just above the painting hanging on the wall and there's very little detail there.
Did you choose where your focal point in the pic was going to be before you made it?

Anyhoo...great work! Keep it up!

David

ooops-I see you just handled the coloring! Well, the coloring's the best bit, so well done! And thanks for the tut too!

EraserX
12-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Wow...thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm shocked that a coloring job could make it in the same ranks as the rest of this beautiful work. I don't know how "choice" images are chosen, but thanks very much to whoever of you are responsible for it.

Ruso
12-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Great image and a great tutorial, Eraserx.
Just one question, could please explain with a little more detail how to changes the lines to color rather than black. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!! :))
Congratulations and keep up the good work!

gmoran
12-10-2003, 11:07 PM
I just saw the tutorial! It looks great! I'm definately going to give it a try!

lestdog
12-17-2003, 02:17 PM
please read edit below

let me first say, wondeful image!! Your drawing skills are first class.. Your coloring detail is extrodanary.. If a crit is welcome I must say that the composition is not working for 2 reasons. The characters in the forground are competing with the characters in the background beacause the you have the same level as line detail perhaps even more in the forground, however you choose to try and drag the viewers eye over to the background by applying loads of color and leaving this foreground area totally monotone. Infact I was questioning if the piece was even finished beacuse of this. Also in the monotone forground you used this same purple in the background which i think is making it appear flat. The monotone purple alone is causing it to be flat a little. also Purple (being the cool color that it is) is suggesting here that these guys are in a dim lit area but the light logic doesn't seem to be suggesting this to me anyway.

Anyway I give hard crits only to work that I love on cgtalk and this is no exception. congrats on an extrodanry piece!

edit: actually after further viewing i noticed that the forground is actually a seperate image. I'm wondering then if you need to find a better solution to seperating them on the border?

EraserX
12-17-2003, 02:30 PM
I do appreciate the critique very much, but some of it does not apply to me. As mentioned in the original post, this was drawn by Mitch Byrd, inked by Bobby Hickey, and colored by me.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.