PDA

View Full Version : How do you color like that?

EraserX
11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
After a number of requests, I've decided to do a walk through on a pin-up I recently colored. Please remember that this is not the ONLY way to color or even the only method I use. Variety is the spice of life. This is just one example. Anyway, enjoy!

Digital Coloring in PS7 (http://www.pensnpixels.com/tutorials/flatting.htm)

halo
11-20-2003, 05:04 PM
nice art

just out of interest, why do you work that way around when dealing with black line art, i always just converted to greyscale, made sure the the lines are nice and solid black, then copied and pasted that into an RGB file but set to darken or mulitply then just simply painted underneath. I find that then i can keep the underneath as layers and as long as i dont go over the edges i dont need to select anything, i just keep painting. Cos the line art is on top its always black.

Of course i can see that you take this further, but i've seen this technique before and just wonder why it was done that way.

EraserX
11-20-2003, 05:08 PM
The biggest reason is that an extra channel takes less file size than an extra layer. On smaller files, I usually make it a layer from the beginning, but this was 9000 pixels wide, so I was trying to cut back wherever possible.

halo
11-21-2003, 12:25 AM
cool :) just wondered.

what dpi do you work at? 300 or do you wind it up to keep the lines tight to say 600+?

EraserX
11-21-2003, 12:33 AM
For normal comic work, I color at 400 dpi since that is the resolution it will print. For covers and posters, I work as big as the file I'm given in case the publisher ever wants to enlarge it.

oxyg3n
11-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Thanks for this tutorial. I am new to coloring with ps and was looking for something just like this to help teach me the tricks.

I am not finished reading through it yet, but have enjoyed it thus far.

manosteele12
12-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Just curiouse, about how long did it take you to do this, cause it took forever to flatten this thing. Great tutorial. Thank you very much.

KINGOFPAIN
12-05-2003, 11:03 AM
heres another tut (http://www.digital-creativity.org.uk/tutorials/tutorial_14.html)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.