PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Dell for Laptop...is this silly?

bin23
11-20-2003, 02:37 PM
I am going to have to purchase a laptop in the next few days.

I've been looking at the 8600 series Dells and can't understand why they seem to run so much slower than the 5100 series. At any rate, what should I look for and what do I absolutely need to have in one of these machines. I am a mac person and though I've been scouring the threads I am still a little confused.

Thanks

BIN23

breud
11-20-2003, 09:35 PM
well, i'm going to buy a dell inspiron 8600 tomorrow or saturday, and i've been scouring the threads as well... i have to admit, it's not easy to get straight clear information but here's what i (think i) know:

what do you mean by that the 5100 is faster than the 8600? if you mean the processor GHz, you need to know that in the 8600 there is the new intel pentium centrino technology, which especially designed for notebooks and consumes a lot less battery. also, they are workhorses and will beat their pentium 4M-brothers of up to 0.8GHz easily.... i don't know if i'm clear on this, but the inspiron 8600 is definitely NOT slower than the 5100.

for the rest, i don't know if dell is the best buy for price/quality/performance but you get the service that guys from e.g. voodoopc can't give you (yet), especially in europe. so if there's a factory fault or something breaks, you don't find yourself before your notebook with a screwdriver in your hand and not a clue where to start...

ok i hope this was useful

Xuan_Zang
11-20-2003, 11:23 PM
Dell are pretty decent machines in my experience, the big manufacturers that you want to avoid are Time and Tiny. Like breud said the after sales service is very important with laptops because it's a lot harder to deal with hardware faults yourself than it is with desktops.

Unfortunatley I don't get a lot of user time on all the machines I see so I can't really comment performance wise

bin23
11-21-2003, 04:41 AM
Thanks Guys!

You've been very helpful. A friend at work has the model I am looking at and but for a somewhat difficut trackpad design it looks to be a good machine.

Breud I've noticed that they rotate a number of deals on the dell site, so be fore you buy ask them what is available. It also seem like a good idea to buy extra ram yourself, spend the extra money for a better sound card and warranty. Should you accidently:rolleyes: drop it in a couple of years they will replace it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

bin23

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.