PDA

View Full Version : Stunning Tech Demo using a single 256×512 texture

yinako
03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Stunning Tech Demo

http://udk.com/showcase-amazing-one-texture

Artist Tor Frick is the sole man responsible for the Unreal Engine tech demo you see above. If you just watch it, it looks lovely, but also looks like nothing out of the ordinary.

It’s only when you find out he made it using a single 256×512 texture that you go “wow”.

Artbot
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Tricky. (http://www.torfrick.com/Art/UDKLab/Layout.jpg) I'm curious how many materials he created in UDK. Pretty cool how it can break out channels, which can probably have different tints applied, to create a lot of variation.

_vine_
03-29-2012, 04:19 PM
It's neat to see how far he pushed this and it getting so much attention and praise.

However, I must say this is a pretty standard practice in games over the past ten years. The best way to think about modern game textures is in terms of channels rather than RGB(A) maps. We still use the designations of 'color', 'spec', 'normal', 'AO', etc. However, a color map may be palettized and a combination of a text file with a color table and only a single channel of the "color" map. Heck, a color map might not have all channels in the same map. In this case, the color is only a mask for a grey scale value that is multiplied by a color in the shader. The normal may be a combination of just red and green since the binormal is calculated in the shader with the blue channel being used for another function. The red channel of a normal map may even be in the alpha channel because DDS compresses the hell out of the red channel data. Spec maps are often a package of specular color on one channel, ambient occlusion on another, and so forth.

In this case, using (2) 256x512 RGB maps Tor had six channels of data to operate with. This may sound like an amazing usage of map data from the outside looking in, but for game artists it looks like proper efficiency techniques that we expect from artists going into the next generation of systems.

Intars5d
03-29-2012, 08:17 PM
:buttrock:

Somehow found video and overall mood itself very cool! A glimpse into futuristic world. Very atmospheric, music plays nicely with video.

DDS
03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
It does look good, just a bit lowrez. It's the extra polishing of AAA videogames that requires 95% of the memory.

impressed? yeah. but what's the point? Not good enough for next-gen, but at first glance too high instruction count for mobile phone etc. (combining texture channels, reflections, derive normal Z vector, etc. takes a lot of CPU).

Maybe I'm being too harsh, it's an amazing effort!

Elyaradine
03-29-2012, 11:08 PM
It's great what one can do when one's using a sci-fi scene, and isn't shader instruction- nor vertex-bound. :P

Awesome work for its purpose though!

luceric
03-30-2012, 12:10 AM
for just the one guy, that seems a huge amount of modelling; especially in the later lab rooms. impressive work!

Artbot
03-30-2012, 04:10 PM
for just the one guy, that seems a huge amount of modelling; especially in the later lab rooms. impressive work!

It's significant, but looks fairly modular. When you stick to a strict grid size for modules, you can really build out a lot of sections in UR very quickly. The modeling itself looks very simple, save for a couple parts here and there.

But this leads toa comment I wanted to make before. This isn't hard, but requires a lot of pre-planning and organization. In some game production environments, things move so quickly and have to pass through so many hands that this kind of attention by one person seems rare, at least in my experience.

(Edit: "isn't" hard...)

JYoung
04-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Check out the original thread where he works through it. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89682

Gives a bit more insight to his thought process and more breakdowns of his workflow.

ghib
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
How dismissive and aloof do you guys seem with your 'oh it's a good effort but meh' attitudes.

It was an exercise and playful exploration on his part.
Get over yourselves.

mister3d
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
It does look good, just a bit lowrez. It's the extra polishing of AAA videogames that requires 95% of the memory.

impressed? yeah. but what's the point? Not good enough for next-gen, but at first glance too high instruction count for mobile phone etc. (combining texture channels, reflections, derive normal Z vector, etc. takes a lot of CPU).

Maybe I'm being too harsh, it's an amazing effort!
Similar to my impression. It's like, you can use baked in textures lighting for archviz, but it's not the best route, though will render fast. So it's right to question the use of such optimization in the first place. I'd like to see this 7-9 years ago, which would boost the graphics, but not today, when 8 gigs of RAM cost 50$. Of course, impressive test and hard work. :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.