PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Particles...

wireFrame
06-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Hi!

I have problems scaling particles in combustion 2.0. Correct me if I'm wrong but combustion's particles are actually sprites and those images have limited resolution so they break when you scale them up. Is it me or am I missing something? I sthere a correct way of doing this; a workaround perhaps?

Thanks!

IHg_Grafix
06-13-2002, 03:35 AM
I'm still lost as to what your problem is, do you need to know how to scale particles with out a loss of quality in the particle emitter?

- Brad

wireFrame
06-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Yup, loss of quality when scaling up. How would you avoid that?

Thanks!

IHg_Grafix
06-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Well partner, there is a number of things in Combustion that will cause the degredation of quality in your particles. Scaling or "sizing" is really the least of your worries. Probably the biggest factors that determin the quality of your images would be the settings at which your composition is at. Also the bit depth, along with the resolution at which your particles are before you bring them in to combustion, and whether your compostion is 2D or 3D. Maybe a couple of small Images of what you are doing with these particles in your next post may give me a better idea on how to better answer your question.

Remember, its not the size of the particle, its how you use it.

-Brad

wireFrame
06-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Ok, I have to admit that scaling particles will lead to softening of the fx. I have attached the image that you suggected.

The top particle is sharp but small. The bottom one is the same but scaled to 300 percent. We obviously see the softening of the image. Thsi is the default bit depth.

Thanks for answering my questions and for the solution.

IHg_Grafix
06-18-2002, 03:55 AM
Well, first off I would like to apaologize to you. I was reading over my posts and I sound like a total jerk. I sound like a mean person when i'm trying to problem solve, my apalogies.

As for the particles, thats as good as it gets-- unfortunately. The resolution of the particles in combustion were meant to be quick and effective, and were not meant to have too many things done to image resize. If you really would like to do something of the same size and have a greater quality, I would suggest making your own particle matte or even a rendered particle system in a 3d program such as Lightwave(Go v.7.5!!!) or even 3DSMax. Buth have great particle rendering abilities and are quick and easy. Once you have that done you can go ahead and bring in your newer--beefier particle into combustion and image resize until you vomit! I hope that helped you out some, and sorry for making this such a dragged out process! Good Luck!

-Brad

wireFrame
06-18-2002, 06:54 AM
No problemo there, IHg_Grafix!

This is what I have to accept with Combustion 2.0. For my high res particle requirements, I would stick to Max using several plugins. I may have rendering time but it's worth it.

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.