PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Problems in XSI 2.0

wireFrame
06-11-2002, 09:43 PM
I've been using S3D for months already and I'm still looking for equivalent modeling functions/operations in XSI 2.0.

My problem is that I encounter unsatisfactory polygon beveling results in xsi. If I select a complex face (a T shape for example), the inner corners are not 90 degrees as it they are supposed to be. Is there a setting for this somewhere in the preferences?

Another thing, since I still use the old s3D v3.9.2, is XSI still behind when it comes to modeling and xsi still needs s3d for complex modeling requirements?

Thanks again for your feedback in advance.

HapZungLam
06-14-2002, 03:49 PM
can you post a snap shot of your problem?

Atyss
06-14-2002, 07:18 PM
@@@@
My problem is that I encounter unsatisfactory polygon beveling results in xsi. If I select a complex face (a T shape for example), the inner corners are not 90 degrees as it they are supposed to be. Is there a setting for this somewhere in the preferences?
@@@@

You should know that when you put a bevel on several edges that have different lenght, the shortest edge with be used for the reference. Perhaps knowing this could solve your problem.

@@@@
Another thing, since I still use the old s3D v3.9.2, is XSI still behind when it comes to modeling and xsi still needs s3d for complex modeling requirements?
@@@@

Well I would say that polygon modelling XSI is way ahead of SI3D, but for nurbs stick, no matter what, with SI3D.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

wireFrame
06-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Ok! thanks for the help.

Regarding how xsi beveling problem i'm having now looks like this:

Vic3k
06-15-2002, 08:32 AM
wow that's very strange... it should do this. can't help with an explanation but this is totally wrong. i have far more comples object, bevel them and never get this weird result

Atyss
06-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Ok I found the problem.

This is because you have dissolved all inside edges. In other words, the only edges that are not dissolved are the edges at the ends of the object. You have to redraw those edges to have something like this:

http://membres.lycos.fr/grimoireinterdit/img_demo/interiorEdges4bevel.jpg

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

wireFrame
06-17-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks Atyss!

I'm just new to XSI and I don't know the conventions/workaround regarding this problem.

I've had several beveling operations in Maya and Max but the beveling seem to follow the shape of the face that was beveled.

I don't mean to start something here but I use several apps including Soft3D depending on the requirements. I don't use one app and I'm just getting to know xsi.

Thank you very much for finding time to solve this problem!

on-screen
06-19-2002, 02:36 PM
W000T!

i do have such experience before when first use the XSI 2.0.1
but now.
thanx for this thread. Problem discovered and sloved.
:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.