PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max problem with wireparameters

babisouk
03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Hello, I have a a problem at using wire parameters along with an orientation constraint.

Let's say I have three elements in my scene: Bone 1, Dummy 1 and Dummy 2.
I have linked Dummy 1 with an orientation constraint to Bone 1. And I need that when
Dummy 1 rotates with the bone on the x-axis dummy 2 rotates on the x-axis too.

I tried using wire parameters but once connected they don't do anything.

Could somebody explain this to me?
Thank you.

Benzin
03-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Well try to add another XYZ euler rotation controller after the constrain, and then try to wire it...that is one way... another is wiring trough "expose transform" helper, in that case monitored object i.e dummy must have a parent aligned to it... so it's local rotation is 0,0,0, in the beginning. Hope this makes sense.

babisouk
03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Don't worry it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot!

JuliaSchneider
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks. your solution helped me a lot.

TheOnlyAaron
03-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Using the Wire Params and an Expose Transform node is the way that I would go if I needed the specific control, but I think you may be able to get your desired result if you use a second orientation constraint. If you use that orientation constraint to constraint point 2 to point 1 and then in its link info panel uncheck the inherit rotation checkboxes for the channels you want, you can constrain the rotation to just 1 axis, without having the wireparams :)

Transmuter
04-04-2012, 11:35 AM
TheOnlyAaron:

"If you use that orientation constraint to constraint point 2 to point 1 and then in its link info panel uncheck the inherit rotation checkboxes for the channels you want, you can constrain the rotation to just 1 axis, without having the wireparams"

I'm interested, is there a way to limit orientation constraint to work on certain axis only? As far as I remember it will always orient on all axis, no matter what. Would be nice if that was possible.

TheOnlyAaron
04-07-2012, 04:48 AM
There is not a direct way to limit it in the controller, however you can lock an axis in the heirarchy tab, and that will 'interpret' your controller through the available channels.

mrfred
04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
not 100% topic related but:

is there a way to to use the limit function with a script or expression to do something like:
if x is bigger than 0 do ( if x is smaller than 10 do rotate )) ( give a range and be only affected if X is is inside this range)

I do know how to make it work with if and stuff but is there another way to give a scrip, a wireparam or whatever a range

S-S
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
mrfred:

Limit controller limits at least float scripts - For example add channel script (move along x controlled by other track or something) then add limit to this channel, set limits. Soft distance works too, which opens possibilities for nice effects.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.