PDA

View Full Version : Creating a realistic Diamond in Maya Tutorial

samsan8
03-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi friends,
Rendering a realistic looking diamond in Maya is little bit trickier.In this tutorial I have used Mental ray for rendering but used default Blinn material for shading.I didn't used any lights,caustics,HDR map,final gather or global illumination for this scene.The final glow is achieved by After effects.In after effects I used Default glow because I want to show with in our limit we can make some thing good like this.If you have Sapphire plug ins use it wisely for getting some real glows.I skipped lighting for this scene because the same reason, I want to show that it is possible in this way too.If you are capable of doing a studio lighting and caustics the final out will be awesome

http://www.fermicg.com/2012/03/realistic-diamond-in-mayatutorial.html :thumbsup:

InfernalDarkness
03-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Are you asking for tips on how to make it look more realistic?

Use the mia_material_x, instead of a Blinn. It's physically accurate and will actually render faster, as well as let you control caustics and BRDF. If you're using mental ray, there's not really any reasons to use Blinns/Phongs or Maya-native shaders. While they may work for some things, they certainly will not in other cases. The unified mia_mat_x shader handles glass and caustics beautifully.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2012, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.