PDA

View Full Version : CHAR: Damsel no. 6 - finished

Neil
11-20-2003, 04:52 AM
Here is the finished model. The original thread is in the WIP gaming section.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87338&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
This piece was directly inspired by another artists photograph. I fell in love with it and wanted to make it in 3D so that i could see it from all angles. (his image is in the WIP thread) Also it was challenging because there was only 1 reference photo and with all the curved metal and detail, I still wanted it to be a practical game character.

Well here are the specs:
SOFT: MAYA
TRIS: 3650
ONE: 1024x1024 texture map

Matching pose:
http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/damsel1.jpg
http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/damsel1_wire.jpg

little action pose:
http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/damsel2.jpg
http://www.sonicubegames.com/neil/damsel2_wire.jpg

charithmax
11-20-2003, 06:32 AM
nice work! i like it!:thumbsup:

i think lighting and texturing has to adjusted a bit, make it a bit live. bring out the character a bit.

keep the good work going:thumbsup:

RedSilas
11-20-2003, 06:33 AM
The texturing is pretty good from what I can see from the touched up render. The effects of the render are kind of distracting. It would be nice to see a finished clean render. But as far as the model is concerned it's fairly solid. The only thing is I can't figure out what's on her face. Broken glasses maybe... not sure. :shrug:

KazuyaMochu
11-20-2003, 10:52 AM
talk about "alive paintings".

looks very good.

cheers

Kazuya Mochu

HenningK
11-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Wow, thats some pretty efficient modeling! Are you allowed to do a bump map on these low-poly gaming deals? Cos that would sure go a long way.
Why does she got bullets? Is that a gun or a chainsaw thing on her arm? And for what function did you envision the odd protruding headgear? Pretty.
love,hen

kyuketsuki
11-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Very nice translation, going from a single art source to real-time character is impressive.

Neil
11-21-2003, 03:23 AM
charithmax:
the lighting is a simple 3 spot light setup. I wanted to simulate a normal game system. I really never understand when people make low poly characters, and then use MentalRay or Photons and Raytracing to render it.

RedSilas:
I replaced the second render (since you posted last) and took all additional effects off. What you see is exactly out of the maya renderer. (excluding the background it was pasted on)

Kazuya Mochu:
Thanks man. Always respected your opinion.

HenningK:
Uhh.. yeah i would imagine. There is a specularity map, and opacity map on it now. I just didn't do a bump map because i spent too much time on this and kinda lost interest. I might go and do it though later though :)

kyuketsuki:
Thanks. Yeah it was a bit challenging. Especially with the headgear, i'm still not totally sure what it looks like around the whole head, so i just took the liberty to make it up and just tried to make it believable/practical with whatever parts i couldn't make out.

Plays_4_Pants
11-21-2003, 03:41 AM
I thought it looked odd, then I saw the wireframes and realized you didn't put enough effort into the modelling itself, the textures are great, but equal work must be added during the modelling practice or things will look flat like this.:blush:
I do like the style, although I don't understand if there's a point to this nor does it really show any emotion.

RedSilas
11-21-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the update Neil. I went back and took a look at the drawing that you used for your source image. The model compared well.

The one difference that jumped out at me the most (this explains the bullet question from HenningK) was the fact that the ammo clip in the drawing some what fits the size of the bullets draped across her chest, but the 3d model's clip is small and there's no way the ammo would fit. I hope that's not confusing. Personally, I liked the larger clip design because it helped draw attention to the arm-gun...

This is just opinion though. Hope I could help. :shrug:

Adainiel
11-21-2003, 09:26 AM
hey Neil,

I really like the textures on the armour, great job. i really enjoyed some of your previous renders as well. One thing that kinda that you might want to fix is the right arm and hand in the second render, the action shot. The hand looks like it's in a little bit of an awkward position, perhaps if you tilted the elbow outwards and brought the angle of the hand down a bit it would look more natural. Just a little thing, you did a great job = )

~Ada

Neil
11-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Plays_4_Pants
I thought it looked odd, then I saw the wireframes and realized you didn't put enough effort into the modelling itself, the textures are great, but equal work must be added during the modelling practice or things will look flat like this.:blush:
I do like the style, although I don't understand if there's a point to this nor does it really show any emotion.

Plays: Can you elaborate on your point of lack of 'effort in the modeling'?
And you're correct, it does not show emotion. Why's that? Because it's a girl with a pale expression, very little makeup, and no facial animation. I wasn't going for an emotional character, just a pose similar to someone snapping a photograph and moving on.

In regards to the bullets and not fitting in the clip. I totally glanced over that and it never occured to me. Thanks guys :thumbsup: I will fix it in the future.

Lazar
11-22-2003, 11:30 PM
It's simly model, but nice result !!! :beer:
:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.