PDA

View Full Version : Softimage will be axed

McNistor
03-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Don't know for sure, but... read and decide. Or wait for hard evidence, for a few years that is.

http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2191&start=50

ThE_JacO
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Sensationalism much in the title?

Soft in games is big in Japan, and in a couple places in Europe, but not really in the States, and it hasn't had a lot of game focus in the last couple releases. AD has also been sketchy and intermittent at best at dealing with the red headed step child to begin with, if leaving it out of a brochure or demo session was index of being axed in the next years, it would have been gone already.
It might eventually happen, or it might not, but if this was a sign of it happening soon across the board, I doubt it would have been included in the other 3 or 4 pieces of media content where it cropped up in the last month or so.

AD wants the game money to go their recent and coming middleware and DCC apps wise they can only consolidate or replace, which isn't an increase in profits, and therefore doesn't please the board. Don't get too emotive about it :p

DuttyFoot
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
i am sure many people would be upset if AD got rid of SI and merged its features in its other apps. what i found weird about GDC2012 is no mention of SI, i know games are done with it so whats going on. demos were done with the other tools along with scaleform, skyline, etc.

bottleofram
03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
You can blame AD for barely investing anything into marketing Softimage (what else is new?), but i participated in that conversation and even though im very critical of them, its hard to see how you got to this axing business in the end.

Are you referring to luceric's post - the last one on that page? Does that mean max is also getting an axe? If so, when? I know couple of people who would be interested to know... :D

If that thread revealed anything, its that everyone's time was wasted. Sorry, i think you might be wasting some more with this one.

P.S. Softimage was demoed on GDC2012, but not on the mainstage.

DuttyFoot
03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
P.S. Softimage was demoed on GDC2012, but not on the mainstage.

i read the thread on that link this morning and i think that guy from AD said a demo was done at the intel booth.

oktawu
03-24-2012, 09:21 AM
beating on a dead horse...shouldn't matter anymore.
just go ahead and start looking into other packages for a change.
plus, apps are so similar nowadays, it shouldn't take much to figure one out if you already
know another.
ps. interesting thread over at si-community. at least we now know who introduced the viewcube in xsi. grab ur pitchforks and torches people, we're having luc-eric for steak tonight :)

oddforce
03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
If anything axes Softimage it will be the community itself, with threads like this....

McNistor
03-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Sensationalism much in the title?

No, just a little. :)

If anything axes Softimage it will be the community itself, with threads like this....

Hmmmno

kees
03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Does this even matter?!

I heard that 2012 is the end of the world.

CoolCalb
04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Does this even matter?!

I heard that 2012 is the end of the world.

Dec 21st 2012 is end for Maya, no? ;)

ViCoX
04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I have to say that this is the best moment to use Softimage actually.
So far SI users have been stuck with mental ray and now finally we have Arnold and Vray that you can actually use. : )
Not to say that you cant do cool stuff with MR, but lets face it, its soo old and bloated.

adrencg
04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Where do you get "axed" from?

Bullit
04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
He just needs to vent for some reason.

The fact that everyone is investing in Softimage: Arnold, Vray, Exocortex, Motozoid
that is increasingly part of pipelines doesn't matter to him.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.