PDA

View Full Version : Importing with blender

DaemonMagus
11-20-2003, 02:49 AM
I've decided to go the modelling with wings/everything else with blender path and I was wondering how do you import files with blender? If its with python scripts or whatever could you point me to the resources I'd need to get it all set up?

Apollux
11-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Most of the time we import with Python scripts and usually it is a paintless process that can handle all the popular formats. But if you REALLY WANT a totally straight-forward way then download and install Blender version 2.25.

2.25 was the last version that included built-in support for WRML v2 (the format Wing uses)... then v2 was dropped because developers imposibility to continue supporting it due to format-innate dificulties.. from that point Blender only support v1 of WRML.

Once you have your models imported into Blender 2.25, save your files using the .blend format and then re-open using the latest version of Blender available (right now that would be 2.30). You can have many versions of Blender installed on your computer and they won't disturb each other.

*** For the upcomming 2.31 (or 2.32) it is planned to add many built-in import/export capabilities that will make the process even easier... for example, they will be built-in integration with Yafray (a fast evolving Raytracing renderer).

dani
11-21-2003, 09:23 PM
yep, appolux said most of it...

I must add that soon, don't know when but soon, you'll use python scripts to import transparently, through the File>>Import menu...

This is part of the UI improvements.

And it's good :)

Ciao
Dani

stakk4
11-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Is there some advantage to modelling in other apps instead of Blender? Blender is the first app of this kind that I've used, so I dont really have a basis of comparison. Is the modeller not as good as other 3D apps?

Just wondering......

Lets hear some opinions!! :wip:

JDex
11-27-2003, 09:05 PM
I am trying to use the IO_Suite Python Script, but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do with it. I am giving blender another shot here, and while it's nice to see some of the improvements... not being able to import in a intuitive way is just mind numbing.

I installed Python 2.0 and set up the Environment Variable (why can't the installer just do that on it's own?) but when I try to open the IO_Suite.blend file i get an error that say something to the effect of "open failed <internal error>" I'd give you the whole string but you cannont cut and paste it and it only flashes on the screen for a second before disappearing.

The goal here is to be able to import export .wings files...

I see that i could use wrml2 files in 2.25, but I really dont wish to have to install even more applications just to be able to test this app.

Any links to step by step instructions, or a nudge in the right direction would make my day.

Thanx

PS. Happy ThXgiving

Apollux
11-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Here is the deal.. those files from the I/O Suite are not meant to be opened from the usual "File -> Open" menu.. that way is just for normal 3D files.

So, this is what you need to do. (I'm assuming you are using Blender 2.30).
[list=1]
Erase everything unwanted from the scene.. the importer won't do that for you. Just press A untill EVERYTHING is selected and then press X.

OK.. take any of the windows and turn it into a Text-Editor window. How? You see the button with the grid painted on it (right next to the "View" menu). Click on it and choose "Text Editor"

Now, from the "File" menu of your text-editor window choose "Open" and open the python file you want to run.

Read the script you just loaded, many times it contains instrucctions and tips... but that is a decision of the script author.

Ready to run the f***ing script? Place your mouse anywhere over the text and press Alt-P. The GUI that the author programmed should come up... if there is any error message it will be displayed on the DOS-like console that opened when you started Blender.

[/list=1]

JDex
11-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the response...

It is the latest version 2.30

I went thru the instructions and the .blend file reads as a bunch of jibberish... I am pretty confident that this is not the script file or if it is, there is another step involved in extracting it. Scorpius' page has two links in the IO Suite Section, one is for this .blend file, the other is to a .zip full of .radio files.

Is there another step, or are the script files not available atm (prolly a question for scorpius)? :shrug:

I have given blender 6 shots over the years at different stages of development... it looks like it is starting to get there. The interface seems very much improved.

Apollux
11-28-2003, 12:29 AM
A script file is just a text file, for example:
http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/py/obj_io_modif228.py
(This is an OBJ import suite that has been reported to work fine when importing Wings model into blender).

So the I/O suite comes like a .blend file? That is odd !!

Open the .blend file, go to a text-editor window and see if there is anything already loaded on it.. but I' m just guessing.

fligh
11-28-2003, 01:10 AM
The script(s) are in the text window of Scorpius' .blend file.

There are three possibilities here. (MMB= middle mouse button)

1) You can open Scorpius' IO.blend file and use it to import the .obj file that you saved in wings. Save that file as a different .blend file, eg. New.blend. Open the file that you want the model in. Go File - Append - New.blend- Objects - and MMB the object that you want.

2) Open Scorpius' .blend and open the import script in the text window. Shft-Alt-F with your cursor in the text window and save that text file somewhere. Now you can open your own .blend and load that script into your text window and use it to import the .obj saved in wings.

3) Open your own file and append the script into it, File- Append- Io.blend- Text- MMB the script, from Scorpius' file.

In Blender 2.30 you will need python 2.2.2 or 2.2.3 and you will probably need the script that Apollux linked to:
http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blender..._io_modif228.py
This one was modified to work with the new Python appi.

The .radio files are examples saved in Scorpius' own .radio format and are of more interest to coders than users.

The environment variable... would be a cinch for the script to set up itself if the only OS it was intended for was windoze, but Blender works on about 7 others too.

I know it sounds like a major hassle while you're still figuring it out, but once you've done it a few times it works like soap.

Apollux
11-28-2003, 02:44 AM
Just for the record..

by using Blender 2.30 and the script I linked before I was able to export a mesh from Blender and open it on Wings.:beer:

Sisyphus
12-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I got Blender working well with that ...modif.py plugin, imported well the UVs in the OBJ, so I didn't had to remap it.

I used python 2.2.3 and did not have to set a path in anywhere, just in Blender 2.30 preferences write down where Python had been installed...I think.

I finally learnt how to assign an autosmoothing shading value like I always do in other softwares. Also learnt handling of weights assigning and bones. A bit of shadows/lighting to get them similar to what I want.

Those are just a few hours, I'm a total newbie. So now is not that hard :)

And is way powerful.

I'm eager to see that Yafray integration come to reality.

BTW, I don't see nothing bad in modelling in Wings. I love Wings modelling and I use Ultimate Unwrap for uv mapping. I tested many softwares and those two do the best in my case in their areas...I 'just' needed a bones animation software, scene-animation builder, and renderer ;) Which is going to be Blender :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.