PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Reel : Do I have a chance?

olliemethod
11-20-2003, 12:58 AM
After seeing the quality of work that's on this site, I'm a little timid to post here, but here goes. I'm working on a reel to submit to Vancouver Film School to be considered for scholarship. I have no idea of the caliber of work I'm up against and I'm wondering if you think I have a chance. I'm interested in focusing on visual effects. I'd appreciate any input. This reel has audio, so turn it up. The final output will be on DVD.

The link is:

http://www.summitcreations.com/paul/wip.mov

Thanks in advance

TriEye
11-20-2003, 01:26 AM
The modeling is pretty good but I think the pacing is a little slow. My recomendations are: different music, more interesting camera angles, and quicker pacing.

uzair khan
11-20-2003, 02:17 AM
Hey paul,

I dont know what the criteria for getting scholarship is at VFS,
but since you are interested in visual effects, having the following material in your reel sholud help.

fine arts/graphics material (lifedrawing was a good idea)

any 3d modeling you've done may be a plus point.( wireframe/ textures would be even better)

any animation tests 2d/3d

maybe a 3d object composited onto a photographic plate.

At VFS you will be learning both XSI and maya for VFX, so I'm assuming that basic knowledge of these packages could be useful.

good luck. :thumbsup:

p.s your credits were a bit difficult to read with the effects.

olliemethod
11-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks alot for all your comments. The deadline is approaching quick so I might not be able to make many changes, but I'll do what I can.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.