PDA

View Full Version : DESPERATE - Can't fix jacked joint rotation!!!

crturybury
03-21-2012, 04:51 AM
I have received an fbx of a character that is animated. This is a character for a game so the file has everything from walking, running, jumping, dying, etc. The number of joints is too high because it is an iOS game. They want me to reduce the number of joints down to a more reasonable number and when I begin to remove weight and delete joints it creates artifacts in the game engine(Unity) when the character animates. Namely a crazy amount of jitter. When I play back the animation in Maya everything is good. I hsve exhausted everything I can think of to fix this problem. My next thought was to point constrain new joints to the existing ones, making a new skeleton. I went to the zero frame to begin setting the character in the t-pose position but when I zero out the xyz rotation values the joints go all crazy in all sorts of different directions. I am desperate what is the best way to set a t-pose for joints when there isn't one to begin with? By the way this is not a human character. It is an alien with reversed knees and arms that from the elbow become a large knife like device.

ricksilliker
03-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Was the character animated in Maya, and are you trying to zero out the skeleton originally handed to you or the one minus joints? What you should do is take the original file, and zero out everything at frame -10, then keyframe a T-pose. It could be that the character never had a T-pose as well. Were you the one who originally rigged it?

What should be done though, is if you can't zero the character out, begin by giving the joints you want out zero weighting, remove them as influences to the mesh, and then use Maya's remove joint tool. Essentially, you should not need T-Pose to fix a character rig, unless it calls for it, or you are just trying to keep everything clean.(Which is a good thing) But, if you can't you can always just fix it from what you are given. Worst comes to worst, you won't be able to mirror the new weighting with Maya's standard tools; and the worst issue may be some stray verts you need to paint weighting better for.

Hope this helps.

Rick

refract
03-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Removing joints from an fbx skinned file will ruin the skinning for sure.

If thats all you have to go with,.. I'd probably make a duplicate of the mesh, and of just the bones
you need, and copy weights to the new mesh,.. then fix the skinning problems.

I'm curious,.. since I know Unity... whats wrong with setting the joint limit to 3 or 4 on import? That should take care of it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2012, 07:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.