PDA

View Full Version : Night Time Lighting? Incandescence?

ian27
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Hello guys,

I have been working on a Boeing 737 airliner. I have wondered this a few times but what is the best way to create lit windows for a night time scene? Is it by adding incandescence to the window texture? And maybe some glow?

I have also wondered about how to do this for a city scene with skyscrapers etc... How do I light up the windows as this would not be a significant light source but would be enough to create an obvious skyline etc? Again, with incandescence?

Also what is the best way to imitate light from the moon?

Thank you in advance...

Ian

ytsejam1976
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Try to use a portal light with mib_blackbody on custom environment(of portal light) and temperature you want, without sun & sky and with exposure photographic.

ian27
03-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Okay thank you Dario. I'll check out portal lights as I have never used them before.

ian27
03-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Try to use a portal light with mib_blackbody on custom environment(of portal light) and temperature you want, without sun & sky and with exposure photographic.

Okay, been playing with portal lights and mib_blackbody. Is this used for the moonlight or the interior lighting of the airplane?

JasonA
03-23-2012, 02:43 AM
I think it depends on the distance at which the windows are being seen and does it have to behave like a light source. I usually only worry about incandescence if I want the object to cast final gather.. otherwise just use ambient. and run a matte for it, so in post you can put a glow on it..

lostparanoia
03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Also what is the best way to imitate light from the moon?

the moon is the simple part. depending on your white balance, it's a white directional light, or maybe, for a little more stylized look you can give it a slight blueish tint.

(the actual physically correct color temperature is around 4100K, depending on where you are and how high the moon is above the horizon. It can actually vary quite a bit. You can connect a mib_blackbody to the color of your light and type it in. using this requires that you get your other light sources color temperature right as well though. otherwise it's useless.)

ian27
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I appreciate it. I'm gonna look at this scene again now and I'll let you know if I have any more questions. I'm sure I will! :P :)

ian27
03-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Just playing around with outdoor lighting right now. Created an image for a sunny afternoon and twilight... Will attempt a moonlight scene now... I also would like to figure out how to make the aircraft's windows glow from artificial lighting from within the aircraft's cabin...

ytsejam1976
03-28-2012, 10:22 AM
if you use mia_material, on additional color tab, ins a ramp or mia light surface and tweaking the parameters.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2012, 10:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.