PDA

View Full Version : Environment/ Background camera map - Memory problem

NMCK
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Hello,

I am using the mental ray material (environment/background camera map mtl) in 3ds Max 2012.

I am using it to get reflections onto my geometry from a video i have shot.

So in the map slot I have put the .avi file of the video.

The translation time now takes like 10 minutes, while rendering time takes about 20 seconds. And half the time I get an insufficient memory message and it has to cancel.

Does anyone have a solution to this?
What is the best way to get the reflection from a video file? will making it an image sequence improve this?

TheOnlyAaron
04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Max is loading all of and possibly processing much of the .avi in a likley non-optimal way. If it has to load the entire clip into memory, you may be having some serious hit there, as well as whatever decoding the video is doing.

I would suggest using a compositor like AE or Nuke to write out that .avi as an image sequence, and use that as your env/background image. Then Max will only need to bring in the one frame, and not the entire clip, and will not have to decode video as well.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.