PDA

View Full Version : 4x AGP vs 8x AGP is there a huge difference?

eMysfit
11-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Im about to start purchasing items for a pc I had in mind to build for 3d work. I kind of have been intrigued by the small cube form factor computers, like shuttle. But I noticed that the AGP slot on all of these only supports 4x cards and not 8x.

My question(obviously) is how big a difference would it make if I was to buy a GeForce 4 that supports both(a 128 mb one probably cause I can't really afford super awesome cards.) Would it be signifficantly better if I had a system that supported 8x or will 4x be just fine?

imashination
11-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by eMysfit
Im about to start purchasing items for a pc I had in mind to build for 3d work. I kind of have been intrigued by the small cube form factor computers, like shuttle. But I noticed that the AGP slot on all of these only supports 4x cards and not 8x.

My question(obviously) is how big a difference would it make if I was to buy a GeForce 4 that supports both(a 128 mb one probably cause I can't really afford super awesome cards.) Would it be signifficantly better if I had a system that supported 8x or will 4x be just fine?

1) Which shuttle? it must be fairly old if it doesn't support x8. Im running the SB61G2 here with a 800mhz fsb 3gig p4 and radeon 9800pro @ x8

2) The difference between x4 and x8 is virtually nil when you work, it only affects how fast textures and so forth can be uploaded from the gfx card. ie. Game loading times

CgFX
11-19-2003, 10:29 PM
There is a differece of 100% more "x".

eMysfit
11-19-2003, 10:30 PM
It wasn't exactly a shuttle, it was called miniQ or something like that, it's cheaper than shuttle brand....Im poor.

That sounds like an awesome system you got there. Thanks for the reply.

CgFX
11-19-2003, 10:32 PM
2) The difference between x4 and x8 is virtually nil when you work, it only affects how fast textures and so forth can be uploaded from the gfx card. ie. Game loading times
With large enough models (and I mean big) and a processor with high enough memory bandwidth, you will notice gains from 8x AGP over 4x.

eMysfit
11-19-2003, 10:33 PM
since Im not that good and don't make real big models though I guess a 4x will do me just fine eh?

ammon
11-20-2003, 03:38 AM
I have an older SK41G from Shuttle and run a 8x card in the 4x slot. Runs great.

eMysfit
11-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks, you guys have been very helpful. I would like to get a shuttle SB61G2 or equivilent but can't afford it so since you guys say there isn't that much of a difference I think Ill just get the slightly cheaper versions(practically half price).

stephen2002
11-21-2003, 01:02 PM
The preformance differense is considered negligable for everything but the most extreme situations.

Thalaxis
11-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by CgFX
There is a differece of 100% more "x".

Now THAT answer I like! :applause:

Thalaxis
11-21-2003, 09:30 PM
If you're on the market still, you might want to look into the
Biostar iDeq and Soltek qBics. They're considerably less pricey
than Shuttles, but still quite nice boxes; I just got through putting
a qBic together, and I'm quite pleased with it. It's also been very
stable so far, though it's only been online for a week or so :)

American Media has a nice box also, but unless they added a new
model to their lineup recently, it's P4 only from them, I think.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.