PDA

View Full Version : [Fryrender] Need some tips

cyrus3v
03-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi,

I just start testing and play a little with Fryrender and Arion. Can anyone give some tips to create those fantastic renders.

For example, how to I reduce the grain? If we have an interior render, do you use only the sun?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Darkmalan
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi, I dont have any experience with using Fryrender but I do with Maxwell Render which is similar in a lot of ways.

Im sure you are aware that Fryrender is an unbiased renderer meaning that it does not use any approximations to create the final image. It does not use photon mapping, light caching or irradiance mapping for example.

The upside to this is very accurate renders with a downside of renders taking a long time to render. I would say depending on your workstation to expect an interior scene to take at least 7 house at worst 20 hours (based on an 8 core processor). This is because the image will get cleaner over time reducing the amount of noise. So basically you just have to wait for the noise to clear up in the render

As far as lighting goes, the more indirect light there is in the scene the longer it will take for the noise to clear in the render as more light bounces need to be completed to give a good result. One workaround for this is to add emitters just outside of the windows to add more direct light into the room. The downside to this is that the light will be very soft and diffuse which may not be the desired look.

You can also add fills lights in the scene out of the way of the camera and reflections in the same way that photographers do. This will also help to clear noise faster as there will be even more direct light in the scene

Hope this helps

cyrus3v
04-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi, I dont have any experience with using Fryrender but I do with Maxwell Render which is similar in a lot of ways.

Im sure you are aware that Fryrender is an unbiased renderer meaning that it does not use any approximations to create the final image. It does not use photon mapping, light caching or irradiance mapping for example.

The upside to this is very accurate renders with a downside of renders taking a long time to render. I would say depending on your workstation to expect an interior scene to take at least 7 house at worst 20 hours (based on an 8 core processor). This is because the image will get cleaner over time reducing the amount of noise. So basically you just have to wait for the noise to clear up in the render

As far as lighting goes, the more indirect light there is in the scene the longer it will take for the noise to clear in the render as more light bounces need to be completed to give a good result. One workaround for this is to add emitters just outside of the windows to add more direct light into the room. The downside to this is that the light will be very soft and diffuse which may not be the desired look.

You can also add fills lights in the scene out of the way of the camera and reflections in the same way that photographers do. This will also help to clear noise faster as there will be even more direct light in the scene

Hope this helps

Hi Darkmalan,

first of all sorry about the delay in answering your reply.

Yes I know that Fryrender is an unbieased render and that the renders take much more time, but I didn't have the idea of time that it takes to create a clean image. :\ In my machine after 4 hours of rendering, the image still had some noise so I thought, well maybe is some tweaking that I need to do. But if one single images take 20 hours no wonder why my image was with noise.

But a big thanks for the tips about how to remove noise from the image. I think that right now with a Core2Duo I don't have PC do try this kind of unbieased render.

By the way, I was trying to render this scene.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=1044298

Darkmalan
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes I'm afraid its just the way it goes with unbiased renders at the minute we definately need patience!

From my experiences though (Maxwell Render again) I find that setting up lighting, tweaking materials and doing render settings with Vray ends up taking as long as it does to just leave the computer rendering for a couple of nights. I find the materials and lighting very quick to set up with unbiased engines so the time I spend in biased and unbiased renderers ends up being the same just spent in different ways. ( maybe down to a lack of experience with Vray on my part...)

Obviously animations are out of the question but really its just a matter of waiting not much else to say really :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.