PDA

View Full Version : USB troubles? Dell Inspiron 5000 users

Undseth
11-19-2003, 10:03 PM
P r o b l e m :
Mysterious Reocurring "disconnection" warnings in Win2000 (got about 50 of'em today on my screen, as my laptop was sort of idle for some hours). Really annoying.

H a r d w a r e :
Dell Inspiron 5000, with one usb1 socket + a pcmcia USB2 card.
(Oh, and a Freecom24b/FX-1 cdrw burner)

I guess the reasons could be one of many possibilities, but I have not figured it out and support doesnt seem to be able to help me.

...I just wonder if there are any other Inspiron 5000 users out there, that perhaps has overcome any usb2 problems, say with the use of either a ext.HDD or a Cd-Rw burner!?! (disconnection warnings)

I read about this today, and it seems to me the issue may be unresolved. The whole thing was a bit unclear from all the customer-reply-posts.

I want to buy a external HDD soon, but do not want to waste money on a non-optimal-working-solution.

Have read about general "usb2 problems" on perhaps early Dell laptops (but I really can't trust any whining on the web, regarding products with alledgedly faults/problems, but it makes me a bit suspicious, if I were planning to buy something)

Have have this problem for a long time.

Are there any Inspiron5000 users out there, having dealt with this strange problem?

quinox
11-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Problem: anyone else out there using xp pro getting the problem where there is a device constantly disconnecting and reconnecting? basically what happens is everything freezes for about a second and then you hear the device disconnect sound, followed by the device reconnect sound......using a microsoft optical USB mouse which i thought was the problem, tried switching USB ports but still getting the same problem...it happens constantly too...at least 4 times a minute, very frustrating....any ideas?

Possible Solution: From Mike Ketchen Microsoft MVP: If it's a USB device, go to the Start Menu and right-click on My Computer. Click on the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. At the end of the tree should be "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
Expand that node (click on the little plus sign), right-click on "USB Root Hub," and select Properties. Click on the Power Management tab, uncheck the box labeled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power," and click OK.

That will keep Windows XP from turning off your USB devices when it sees no activity (very annoying if you have a USB mouse).

Start (http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+disconnect+problem+win2k)-> Source (http://beta.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20706495.html)

Undseth
11-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your comment, but I have already unchecked this option.

Edit:
However, one thing catched my attention in one of the links.

I'll try this in a moment;
"Look in Device Manager under "Computer". If it's ACPI, let's change it to "Standard PC":" As explained in the link.

I'll be back...

Edit2:
I have changed the ACPI (or was is ACIP?, anyway...)and set it to Standard PC.

I followed the instructions in the link mentioned above, and only one odd thing happened, or didnt happen. Meaning, I though I was supposed to get a choise for "fast repair" but it just kept installing.

Luckily, it all ended showing med the former pc-setup with all my former program installations.

Only problem now is to install a driver from a floppy, but windows wont seem to want to select the .inf file on the floppy, and I dont understand why.

Can you help me out? The MIRC win2k board is silent as death, and I am getting no help from them at this point.

Whats the trick in making windows select the .inf file on the floppy, and not the one selected by windows on c:?

PS: this whole thing was pretty scary I think, but it turned out ok

Undseth
11-20-2003, 11:59 PM
In case of anyone else starting to read this thread, I should say that "everythingusb.com" said I should try the unofficial patch by Scott Landon, which may/should apply for several cardbus controllers. Specifically my Textas Instrumetn 1225 pci cardbus controller.

So I first changed back to ACPI (via an windows "upgrade"install), as he said that changing HAL settings to "standard pc" was a mistake, before I applied this patch.

I have now plugged inn my pcmcia card and installed it. And most importantly, I have plugged in my cdrw burner, and I am now waiting to see if I get this "disconnection warning" like before.

It's been an hour now, and all is OK. No service packs are installed yet. I can wait another hour or so.

So far so good.

Btw, this problem seems to apply among others to some older Dell Inspiron machines it seems. So you might try the patch if you have the proper pcmcia cardbus controller on your machine.

I hope now I can use my cdrw burner without interruptions, and hopefully buy an external HDD soon.

Undseth
11-22-2003, 02:32 AM
I could not make that patch work, but the guy at "everythingusb.com" finally suggested a USB2 driver install, from an exe file. From SIIG.

www.siig.com/driver.asp?partnum=JU-PCM323

The install instructions were confusing, but I:
1) uninstalled any usb2 drivers in device manager
2) unplugged my pcmcia card
3) installed via exe file, the driver from SIIG
4) rebooted
5) Upon start, I was asked to put in a former usb2 billionton driver, but the whole thing works if I select cancel and go for the driver installed. Seems to go through this at every boot now, but i can live with that (can maybe fix this also, but Im in no hurry yet). The pcmcia and importantly the CDRW burner works now with no faults.

And this has worked for me!!!

PS: I now have SP4 + all critical patches
:scream: :surprised :p :bounce:

singularity2006
11-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by quinox
Start (http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+disconnect+problem+win2k)-> Source (http://beta.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20706495.html)

I never liked Expert Exchange in that they charge a fee. So I never bothered getting in to use their sources. I'd rather try annoyances.org. =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.