PDA

View Full Version : RED/r3d to nuke colorspace workflow

Rickmeister
03-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi guys,

I'm starting postproduction on a short film filmed on a RED ONE Mysterium X. As we have 60 VFX shots I've been testing using .r3d files straight into Nuke. Speed wise it is just as fast, sometimes even faster, as a OpenEXR sequence and it uses way less storage and thus way more manageable.

Now, my only problem is when I compare a r3d file with a OpenEXR sequence in Nuke there is a gamma difference between the two. When I add a Gamma node with value 0.5 (which should make it a Gamma curve of 2) there is still a slight difference with getting worse in the highlights and shadows.

Is anyone familiar with this problem, and how do you go about it?

I don't want the screw the colorist by rendering bad sequences.

pingking
03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
the difference can come from many sources:

first) where did your EXRs come from? how where they converted to EXR?

second) which firmware, REDColor and REDGamma where used? which version of nuke dou you have? because RED changes sometimes REDColor and REDGamma the latest version may not supported in nuke

can you show your settings on the read node for the RED file?

memetemin
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
İ had same issue i find some propecies on r3d read node there is some option about clor space when i choice red space it looks ok

Rickmeister
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry for never getting back to you Pingking. I found out that the problem was in the read node of the R3D file. Under Gamma Curve. It had to be on Half Float Linear to match correctly.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.