PDA

View Full Version : How far has voice recognition come these days?

singularity2006
11-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Just curious, how far has voice recognition technology come these days? The last time I used it was like at least five or six years ago, or whenever Dragon Naturally Speaking first came out, which was in anycase, quite a long time ago. How well does the technology work today for PC's as opposed to how it worked back then? I remember having to read half an hour worth of text to adjust the software but how do they work today? I've seen the functions in cell phones sure, but I see my brother having to say a name several times over before it works... hehee. Anyone use the stuff for PC for dictation or anything?

s0real
11-19-2003, 11:10 PM
heh, i started training the ViaVoice thing on winXP a couple of months ago when i was bored at work...

i got fed up with it after about 5 mins and skipped the training then had fun trying to dictate via the mic into word...

it didn't really work too well...just got lots of random nonsence.

were you planning on using voice recognition for 3D?

personally i'd feel a bit silly sitting in the office shouting commands at my computer all day :D

JDex
11-20-2003, 12:18 AM
I actually think that voice recognition systems were more acurate back in the late 80's. I don't really think any of the VR systems I have tried in the last ten years should qualify as Voice Recog, they are more like gibberish generators.

UrbanFuturistic
11-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Well I'm using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred Seven and, while general voice recognition is good. it can be a bit of a bugger to use, and still requires a fair bit of training training before it can quite get used to the nuances of how you speak.

It does, however, work substantially better, if you use the DragonPad software to dictate to before copying and pasting your text in another document space (especially with response to commands for editing).

I'm actually quite impressed that if I try to enunciate properly, e.g. not dropping my Ts all the time, it now confuses the software.

It could still do with a bit more training, though, and the bloody microphone gets in the way when I'm trying to drink my coffee. It wasn't too bad working out-of-the-box though.

regards, Paul

singularity2006
11-20-2003, 06:14 AM
hah, coo coo. Does having a better microphone make any better difference? Yeah, I won't be using this for CG or anything but rather, dictating my term papers and dissertations when I'm too lazy to sit upward to type. But heh, that's a long whiles away.... just thinking about the possibilities.

UrbanFuturistic
11-20-2003, 06:27 AM
You get a good enough microphone in the package, but yeah, the microphone is pretty important as the signal to noise ratio affects how well the software can understand what you're saying.

regards, Paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.