PDA

View Full Version : Character: Elin with her sword

jdj
11-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Hi there forum

Ladies with swords has a certain allure. :rolleyes: So here is my latest contribution to the scene.

It is a still from my latest project. I call her Elin since she reminds me of a girl with that name. She is made with Maya 4.0 and the default renderer. This image has been slightly tweaked with Photoshop.

I don't want to think on how much time I have spent upon this project, but it has been a pleasurable experience.

The image is a bit low-res but I didn't want to struggle with other hosting solutions. I have tried to create a nice atmosphere in this scene and an animation will follow... someday ;)

Cheers!
/ Daniel
:beer:

GFX-Arts
11-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Great work :)

bigbad
11-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Ge oss en större rendering. Det jag ser verkar vara grymt.

jdj
11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Thank you.

bigbad - How can I resist such an request? :)

Here she is in a larger version. I have spent some time and managed to get this down below the 20k limit - I do understand the need for it, but it forces you to cut some corners...

The image is slightly over-compressed and you might see some jpeg artifacts, but anyway.

Cheers
/ Daniel

DogBreath
11-19-2003, 10:07 PM
I think you have done a nice job, congratulations on all your hard work. The leather looks abit like batmans rubber suit on the top half, maybe a few stretch lines would help there, like on the pants legs.

pity she has'nt drawn the sword, or that you could'nt show a few more pics in different poses. I would like to suggest that you go to the 3rd post on this forum and sign up to one of the free web hosting solutions. After all the work that you have put into this I think you owe it to yourself to show her off in larger pics, don't you.

I like it, and want to see more.

charithmax
11-20-2003, 06:01 AM
really nice work! i like it!:beer:

jdj
11-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Thank you

DogBreath
Thank you for your feedback. The fun thing is that I want it to look like latex or lycra (...I believe it's called) :)

I will do a few more renderings of her in different poses and angles. However, I am a bit pressed for time right now, so I'll try to get a few more shots up during the weekend.
(...actually I have about 1.500 images of her at the moment but they are a bit small)

And don't worry, the sword is not a decoration ;)

Regarding webspace - I might get my lazy behind moving and get some 24/7 space... someday... right now I am quite content to fiddle around with my webpage where it is, the downside is that it is not online 24/7.

Cheers!
/ Daniel

calinmatney
11-20-2003, 02:15 PM
Really nice stuff, I especially like the pants texture. My only crits are one:

She kinda has man hands, meaning they are a little large for my tastes, but oh well.

The top of her chest is too smooth. This is a skinny woman so your going to see the clavicle (at least I'm pretty sure thats what those bones are called). I think that would help break up that smoothness and add to the realism.

Great stuff though, regardless

Cheers

jdj
11-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Hello again

calimatney:
I agree that her hands are a wee bit too large, and also that her claivcles(?) are 'understated'. I might fix the latter problem but the former is too much work to fix.

Actually I made this model with a quote from Madonna in my head - "Don't gild the lilly" :) (probably a well known proverb somewhere).

i.e. I spent a few hours per segment and then I stopped before I got too bogged down in details to get some tempo into the proect. I have an astounding ability to spend (too) much time on small details. The claivcles were one of the sacrifices I made :)

I did however spend ages on her hair where I actually made a custom Maya plugin to handle generation and dynamics - that was fun but took quite some time to get it working.

Anyway - more pictures of her were requested so here comes a few more!

Cheers!
/ Daniel

jdj
11-23-2003, 02:37 PM
...and another

jdj
11-23-2003, 02:38 PM
..another one...

jdj
11-23-2003, 02:40 PM
..and the last one. This one is more or less straight from the renderer and has very little post-processing.

Cheers!
/ Daniel

Klaymen
11-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Om du vill ha webbplats kan du få låna lite hos mig om du vill. har en polare som har en server.. fast du får ju skicka grejerna till mig först då...

emm
11-23-2003, 04:24 PM
..she looks just like courtney cox on the first posted renders!

:D

anyway, looks good. very cold renderings though..
also, the croutch seeme to deform somewhat strange when
she sit`s down..

-m

GFX-Arts
11-24-2003, 09:16 AM
great :)

jdj
11-25-2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks

Klaymen: Check your private mailbox.

emm: Yes they are very cold. Actually they turned blue quite unintentionally when I applied "Autolevels" in Photoshop. The result blew me away however, so now I am thinking about tinkering with the color balance in post... :) If you look at the last image above, you can see that the original renders are warmer.

Courtney Cox... yes I can see that - It has never occured to me before. Methinks she would look great in that outfit... :rolleyes:

Cheers!
/ Daniel

ironist
11-26-2003, 02:10 AM
good

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.