PDA

View Full Version : auto resize vs no resize

noiseOfId
03-14-2012, 04:18 AM
My problem here is that I am getting quite different (and less nice) results when I turn on auto resize, no matter how high I set the margin or how low I set the threshold.

So I set the boundaries to "closed" for all sides and turned off "resize closed boundaries" but still the same problem.
Shouldn`t i get the same results with or without the "auto resize" turned on then?
I mean the voxels throughout the whole sim are just the same...
Hm.

Schempp
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
If your are getting weird results like the container wont resize fast enough you can use extra emitters that doesnt emit anything and animate them a couple of frames before the fluid reaches the boundaries, i think there is an option named resize to emitter that you need to check for this to work.

Hopes this helps.

Parv
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
nice tip, Schempp!

noiseOfId
03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
If your are getting weird results like the container wont resize fast enough you can use extra emitters that doesnt emit anything and animate them a couple of frames before the fluid reaches the boundaries, i think there is an option named resize to emitter that you need to check for this to work.

Hopes this helps.

Hi.
Yeah I know about that and actually setting the margin high enough usually does the trick for me already.
So the grid not catching up is not the problem.
It is just that the sims look different.
Like I said: "closed" for all sides and "resize closed boundaries" turned off, should look the same as simulating without resizing.

And actually resizing with high enough margin should look the same already...

Parv
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
If I am right then even by changing the boundaries from none to closed can change your sim. The turbulence is especially affected by which boundary is closed and which is opened. So with all closed boundaries and turning off resize closed boundaries is giving a different sim simply because of the changes in boundaries, not the auto resize feature. But I could be wrong.

eaclou
03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
yeah, that sounds like the issue, because you're essentially simulating in different sized enclosures, which would affect flow. Try a test with all "open" boundaries and they should look the same. If not, at least you've ruled out another factor.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.