PDA

View Full Version : Wrong choice of Course

Cruzaficks
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if it's normal for someone to not become uninterested in the first course they take, I mean it's completely normal right? Who here has ever had that.

I'm taking interactive animation and game development, and I thought it was gonna be sick! But then I realized that the modelling really is a pain, and I just like to play game not make 'em.

What do you guys think? You think my dad would understand if I told him I wanna stop the course, it's only halfway into 2nd semester.

Also, what course should I take if I wanted to go into the fields of concept art?

All help appreciated :D
- D

sconlogue
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
So before taking the course you hadn't actually played around with any 3D tools, or otherwise making something CG?

Not surprised you are finding it tough to love. It's difficult, tedious work to be sure and I'd say most that do it professionally or are formally studying it were doing it as a passionate hobby first. The love of games doesn't always translate into loving what's "under the hood". So I'd say your case is pretty normal. In fact, I hear many game developers comment how they love to create concepts, levels, characters etc at work but don't particularly enjoy playing games, so I guess the door swings both ways on that one.

For concept art it depends on what type you want to do. Characters, environments, vehicles, weapons etc all have different skill sets. Lots of concept work is done in 2D so drawing would be the first step there. Solid foundations in anatomy, architecture, mechanics of motion etc. depending. Though first and foremost a desire to really dig into the subject.

On the up side it sounds like you have choices. Though if it were me I would stick out your current course as to get credit before switching. You are 3/4 of your way to that credit as far as I can tell. That and it may fly better with your dad.

Cruzaficks
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Nope, I started from scratch, and I was told by my lecturers that it was normal for people to start from scratch.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking.

Well, I'm not sure what they're called, but just basically draw environments/people/weapons before handing the drawings over to 3D modellers that model them after the concept art. Whether it be in Games or movies, or Animated movies. Not storyboarding, just the art.

What you would do sounds smart, but if I really had no interest in 3D modelling, wouldn't it be a waste of my dad's money to keep on keeping on? Though it might fly better with my dad, I guess it would be a good idea to stick it out and at least get my diploma.

Right now, I just want to get a normal job, earn some money, and figure out what I wanna do in the future.

Cruzaficks
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Nope, I started from scratch, and I was told by my lecturers that it was normal for people to start from scratch.

Well, I'm not sure what they're called, but just basically draw environments/people/weapons before handing the drawings over to 3D modellers that model them after the concept art. Whether it be in Games or movies, or Animated movies. Not storyboarding, just the art.

What you would do sounds smart, but if I really had no interest in 3D modelling, wouldn't it be a waste of my dad's money to keep on keeping on? Though it might fly better with my dad, I guess it would be a good idea to stick it out and at least get my diploma.

Right now, I just want to get a normal job, earn some money, and figure out what I wanna do in the future.

Anodai
03-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Concept art can be a hard field to break in to. Course wise, illustration, painting, or sequential arts could be what you want to do.

I think he is saying finish out the current semester; if you're currently taking the class, then you've already paid for it. Better to finish it out and get course credit in case you switch majors than to drop the class.

Crotalis
03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm taking interactive animation and game development, and I thought it was gonna be sick! But then I realized that the modelling really is a pain, and I just like to play game not make 'em.

This is a perfectly adult thing to realize and it happens all the time. Better to realize it now then to wait until you're already through the program. If I had a kid and he came to me with this, I would be proud of him. Perfectly normal imo.

ajspurs
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

This is the route I took.

I don't know how old you are, but it's strange because at the time that you attend university you think you know exactly what you want to do, that you researched your subject of choice deeply enough to be sure of what you want to do but sometimes when it comes down to it you really don't. Looking back on my decision, it feels like I hardly researched what I wanted to do, it was a mixture of that and also me having to do something else, to realise what it is I actually want to do.

My deepest regret is just not realising exactly what it is I wanted to do at an earlier age but sometimes you have to go through certain experiences for this to come to realisation.

I took a course in Games study and nearly all of it was programming. At first I thought well, if I don't enjoy it greatly but I earn an ok salary from it I'll just put up with it put it was tough to become accomplished at something that I had no love for.

I dropped out and am currently living at home, working 3 days a week for a general income and self studying what I actually wish to do in all my free days. Although I do intend to do an online course soon just to push my studies a bit.

I had to go through telling my parents as well. I think the best thing to do is to (which you are seemingly doing) know exactly what it is you want to do and come up with some sort of plan. Maybe look at other courses that may not be full time or just another full course in general if that's not an issue for you or just anything that may help you progress to what you want to do. I think then it would be easier when you go to tell your dad.

Obviously my dad would have loved for me to stay on the course but his main concern was that I'd just come home and do nothing, he just wanted me to have some sort of goal still.

Cruzaficks
03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
That's a smart idea, to come up with a plan before I do anything like talk to the Counselor or to my dad.

My general plan was to get a well paid job first, so I can pay rent, and food, and then drop school and focus on work and looking for new courses in the field that I want to focus on.

I'm 19 right now, turning 20 in May, just for you who are curious.

But yeah, that's just a general outline on what I want to do right now.

Lehayen
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM

That's exactly what I did, got a high paying job as a bartender, 10 years in the biz while living the life, had kids and thought I had enough time to go back, for the time being, money was good. Then I realized; beauty IS skin deep AND fades. No one wants to see a 40+ year old lady behind a bar. I'm 30 now and sooooooooo dying to get into the school that you're in!!. Unfortunatelly, SAE institute in NYC doesn't offer Animation, 3D modeling, etc. and I'm stuck taking looooong courses at a local community college to be able to get into NJIT :banghead: . They say it's a good school but I need to take a lot of requirements courses before I'm able to attend. I work fulltime so I can't take many courses at a time so it will take a long time to get where I want to be. My biggest fear now is, what if I take the wrong courses and have to start over considering my age and time. UGH.... So frustrating.....
But I'll get there....:thumbsup:

Diny
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm also thinking of learning more on concept art but I would suggest you to try it before you go take classes on it. You also said you want to play game not make it, then why would you be interested in
Concept art?

Cruzaficks
03-17-2012, 11:32 AM
So I just talked it out with my dad, he's not mad, I'm gonna finish the semester while trying to find a job (he's gonna cut me off obviously), and he'll send me a couple of addresses for people who specialize in finding what people are truly interested in, and I'm gonna go to them and figure it out.

Thanks guys :D

BTW - How dyou close the thread? :P

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2012, 11:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.