PDA

View Full Version : how to make painted effect on an 3d image

3d_vlk
11-19-2003, 02:13 PM
hi folks, I will be very grateful if you could help how to make an 3d picture look like if it was painted, for more details look at this http://www.darkfire.szm.sk/arab.jpg - it is an image made in 3d but it was somehow-and I want how, made to look painted...

thanks

3d_vlk
11-19-2003, 02:16 PM
I appologize to author(i forgot his nick) of that image of an arab sniper for using his picture as a help...

Ian Jones
11-20-2003, 01:24 AM
This actually is painted. I think the artist only used 3d for some layout and perspective and then painted over it.

Segmoria
11-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Making a 3d render appear more paintish-like ?

A simple approach to this would be modelling and rendering the 3d scene normally, then going to photoshop and applying certain Artistic or Sketch filters. Experiment with various filter combinations layered with different blending modes.

I know its a lousy way but extended experimentation may lead you to an interesting result.

Ryousuke
11-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 3d_vlk
hi folks, I will be very grateful if you could help how to make an 3d picture look like if it was painted

well....that picture seems like it was done with photoshop and painter....you can always make pictures(2d or 3d) looks "painted" with painter..

-If your using a 3d program(i don't know which you have) than you'll get a plugin and BOOM there you go

-If your using a 2d program(trying to aim it look like 3d) than use photoshop and painter..

teamphotoshop.com<-has tons of tut..maybe it has what you want

Migs
11-21-2003, 08:47 PM
I too have been experimenting with applying a hand-painted touch to 3d rendered images, yet with limited success.

It seems there's probably no magic Photoshop Action that will instantly turn your 3d pictures into hand-painted ones, since each picture is so unique and different. I have, however, found the smudge tool to be useful.

Although I've only had mild success with this other technique, I think it might be a step in the right direction: try one of the many plug-ins out there to render your picture differently (such as CartoonReyes for 3dsmax), and then combine the regular render and the cartoon render in Photoshop.

If anyone has any more ideas, please share them. I'm interested, too.

Leovenous
11-22-2003, 08:11 AM
The brush effects in PS can be useful on some pictures however, most of the time they just don't cut it.

Any way about it, you will have to do a lot of experimenting, but here is what I would try:

Simplify the colors a little by reticulation, blurring, dry brush, and the like. Then make a blank channel in your channel tab and give it a burlap texture filter... play with the intensity.

Then run a lighting effect filter on your document witht the burlap loaded on the texture channel. Use a linear light and try to make the burlap pass as canvas. Be careful to tweak the color so that you dont severly affect the brightness of your document, the goal there being not to make it look like you rendered lights at all.

Hope that helps.

Leovenous
11-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Man, I typed you a long reply and I lost it!:hmm:

Here we go again.

While in some rare cases I get good results with photoshop brush filters, most if the time they fall short of satisfactory. While I cannot tell you how to get fantastic results, I can reccomend how to get improved results.

First, do something to simplify your colors some. You could force them into a web color range, or run filters on them like Paint Daubs or Dry Brush (go very easy).

Then make a new channel and run a burlap texture filter on it.

Run Lighting Effects on your image, with the burlap texture channel on it. Use a linear light and tweak it so it does not adversely affect you doc, but brings out enough burlap to look like canvas.

That is, assuming you want canvas.

Hope that helps.

Neox
11-26-2003, 10:53 PM
"I appologize to author(i forgot his nick)"
his Name is Stephan Stölting :)

and i'm wondering how you know that he did it over a 3d image, i can't remember him telling that, but if he did it 8as he sometimes does it) he just does a quite simple scene with lights and shadows in it to have some guides to repaint everything :)

yinako
11-27-2003, 08:31 AM
you could try this shader script I have called NPRshader: http://www.noboundrees.com/yinako/mayamel.html

It doesn't exactly mimic paint, but its easy to try out/setup, good for conceptual stuff

Oh crap I forgot to say its for maya...

MasonDoran
11-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Matte Painters will often use low poly renders of 3d scene to get the lighting information and the perspective....mostly for referance material.

One suggestion is to do the 3d scene entirely in greyscale....and use this for the shading information(overlay layer) on top of a colored layer in photoshop...you can then dodge burn this layer....and paint the color on the color layer....

azazel
11-28-2003, 05:09 PM
I don't believe in filters, so I'd use hand painted textures and carefully placed lights in the 3d scene. Then I'd play with subtle softening and texture overlays in post. Of course best way would be painting over the rendering, but that takes a lot of time.

opus13
12-02-2003, 05:31 AM
well, heres an additional image (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/27573/Goblin_pub.jpg) that was done in 3d, and i believe would be more akin to the original thread authors point.

does anyone have an idea to the process after rendering used (which certainly looks like a cell shader as a base) for compositing? is it just layers of scenery, with heavy filters? (looks like that as well)

LittleFenris
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
that last image has an email address on it, why doesn't someone just email the person and find out how they did it? :rolleyes: :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.