PDA

View Full Version : nCloth Problem

Nickel0531
03-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

Im new to this forum and maya Dynamics.

Recently Im working on nCloth reserch,

I was trying to make plane moves like this video (http://youtu.be/j86kyKekhFs).

I have tried Field (such as Wind, Turbulence) or rest shape.

But both ways didint works fine , hard to control.

I know it might because of my poor knowledge abt maya ncloth,

so Im hoping that if any one could give me some advise or solution

BR

NIKO

PozestStar
03-10-2012, 02:16 PM
How much detail does your cloth object have? For example:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6139/examplefl.jpg

If it looks like the object on the far left, there's too little detail for the cloth to move as fluidly as your example.

Cloth is a tricky beast, there's really no one way to do it. These are a few things I would do as a starting point (in no real order):

1. Check your working units. (Go to Animation Preferences > Settings) If your working units says Centimeters, then go to your nucleus tab and change space scale (under scale attributes) from 1 to .01.
2. Test on cloth objects with differing amounts of detail and see which one looks the best.
3. Don't use fields if you don't have to. I find that cloth is hard enough to wrangle, and then you have another unknown to deal with if you use fields and things can get a little hard to control. See if the wind setting in the nucleus tab will work.
4. Increase air density in the nucleus tab. I find that when you do fluttering cloth (like flags blowing in the wind), it makes it look a little nicer.
5. Maybe add a little wind noise.
6. Play with gravity, time scale, stretch resistance, thickness, compression resistance, mass, and damp. I know throwing 10 attributes at you might not be the most helpful thing in the world but I think in getting the look you want these will be the things you'd look at the most.

Nickel0531
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi PozestStar ,

Thanks for your reply and helpful advise !
It's really great that someone could help me on this :)

my close subdivision is like 80 x 80
(the look was good when it was 30 x 30, but was afraid abt the quality might be a lil bit low, so I turned higher...and whole look strat went wrong :cry: )

and wasnt care Units before I get started , I'll check on it .
it seems like I better test without field forece first, and those attributes are mostly drive me crazy , but i'll take your advise to adjust them. :)

btw, Are ncloth attributes presets useful?
cuz I wanna make this like silk , and I do found silk presets in it...so, just wanna make sure.

BR

NIKO

PozestStar
03-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Presets are great to start with, but you'll always need to tinker with them to get them just right. If you start with silk, see what it looks like without doing anything. Then see what it looks like if you lower the compression resistance (heck, see what it looks like at something insanely low like .2) and crank up the damp a little. Maybe toy with bend resistance. Keep that kinda low.

And yeah, working units is good to keep an eye on. The nucleus solver sees a 1 x 1 piece of cloth as one meter by one meter, but if you're working in centimeters, that piece of cloth is in actuality one centimeter by one centimeter. Your cloth can end up looking like cardboard instead of a nice scarf (or whatever) if you leave it at 1. I mean, you can change the attributes enough so that the cloth moves well and looks great, but changing the space scale can really help with the accuracy of your simulation.

Nickel0531
03-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Thank you again , Pozeststar

i'll handle the units more carefully and good know about presets !
I'll get start by you advise , hope this time will get what I want :)

BR

NIKO

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2012, 03:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.