PDA

View Full Version : DivX Codec Advanced Settings Help

Artician
11-19-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to render out my demo reel in a nice, clean quality and small file size. I'm using the DivX 5.1 codec.
I've seen some nice demo reels go through here looking quite clean. Most are ~2 minutes and are between 20 - 30 MB, with no sign of compression in the video at all.
However, when I render out my current work it looks absolutely horrible (codec is horribly visible, often concealing the image). I get good results using Indeo 5, but the file size is far too bloated to do me any good.

I've poked around in DivX settings, but that does me no good. I'd like to know what others use: default settings, or custom advanced settings?

Here's (http://www.creathcarter.com/site_media/mes/Reel-Test.avi) what I have so far. Not too tasty.

All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

beaker
11-19-2003, 08:31 PM
need more info. What settings are you using for the Divx movie? Bitrate, VBR,CBR,etc....?

What is the purpose of the final movie? for the web or to output your demo reel to tape?

Artician
11-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Hi,

I'm using default settings for DivX 5.1. I raised the bitrate to 2000 (default is 700 I believe), and even as high as 10,000 with no noticable difference.

The purpose of the final file is for downloading from my website. It's roughly two minutes and I'd like to get it down around 20 - 30 MB which seems to be the norm for other reels of similar length.

I think I found my primary issue. Some of my footage is captured from a DV Tape (I have no capture card). The captured footage seems to suffer the most when being compressed via DivX, whereas any footage I prerendered seems to be perfectly fine. I may be stuck with this if it turns out to be a way DivX compresses DV captured video, but any and all info helps.

Thanks for the help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.