PDA

View Full Version : Rendering reduces quality

gagex2z
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I am a beginning animator and going through some of my old playblasts it's becoming strangely clear to me that especially in the case of animations with lipsynchs my playblast's are clearer than my renders at production quality with all the shadows and special illumination options..

I think it has somethig to do with my lights saturating everything out but I've noticed it in at least 4 of my latest animations. I'm going to end up having to put my playblasts on my demo reel at this point so I'm curious if anyone else has this problem in which the render ends up looking more blurry than the playblast? If so, how do you correct this problem?

This is a render. (I know that youtube reduces quality to upload, but the full size versions seems blurry as well. You can see the difference enough to compare the clarity with the playblast).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rr-Yi5vQs

This is a dropbox link tot he avi playblast. Note that it's alot sharper and the synch is more easily read. I would like to know how to get that same clarity in a production render.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33089130/Actionhero%20prerender.avi

Thanks for your time.

Panupat
03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Hard to tell about crispness if it's on youtube - youtube applies their own compression to any video. Try to screen cap your playblast and and movie output and upload them somewhere at full size if you want us to have a good look at your blurriness.

At a quick look, your playblast doesn't look sharper. It just has no anti-aliasing (jagged edge) and your have darker shadows in it which kinda look good compare to your rendered one which is really over exposed.

LucentDreams
03-27-2012, 08:36 PM
your probably using a softer anti aliasing method, try changing your AA filter to something like sync or catmullrom depending on what options your renderer has.

Also thru sharper diffusion on your shaders would probably help keep the cartoon look. Your lighting is pretty flat and soft.

gagex2z
03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks a lot for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I'll try to to change my AA filter and see if that helps. I also have a new method of keeping a toonshaded look uinsg the set vertex normals and a low intensity ambient light so that might help if I don't have to use a pure lambert and cranks it up so high.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.