PDA

View Full Version : Learning Perl...in windows...huh?

PeaceOfMind
11-19-2003, 05:58 AM
Hey everyone,
Can someone help a guy out who's trying to learn Perl in a windows environment? I know I'd have an easy time doing it in unix, but I don't really have access to it anymore. What can I download to have a little Perl shell sitting in my Windows desktop to practice basic scripting, if possible? oh dear python..it was so much easier. Thanks guys.

stew
11-19-2003, 06:09 AM
Try http://www.cygwin.com/.

gga
11-19-2003, 07:10 AM
or:

http://www.activestate.com/

ActiveState Perl is a stand-alone perl distribution that uses native windows code, installers and so forth. It also comes with a PPM to control installation of perl packages (modules).
It is also available now on linux, too.

Cygnus tools on the other hand, try to mimic a unix environment much more closely and rely on a cygwin library for most applications meaning it interfaces with windows a little bit more awkwardly but better with unix environments.

rendermaniac
11-19-2003, 09:45 PM
If nothing else get Cygwin to use as a shell. Being able to tab complete path names is great, plus you get really nice unix tools.
Also Remember to add .pl to your files on Windows.

Simon

PlebianX
12-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Not to be rude, but directory and filename completion have been available in the windows command prompt since I believe win2k. It's definately in WinXP at any rate. :beer: ;)

mastermesh
12-03-2003, 11:52 PM
activestate's the way to go... while you're at it grab their other stuff to download for free too :)

Hugh
12-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by PlebianX
Not to be rude, but directory and filename completion have been available in the windows command prompt since I believe win2k. It's definately in WinXP at any rate. :beer: ;)

It's not in Win2k as default - no obvious setting to turn it on, but I'm sure I have had it on in Win2k before....

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.