PDA

View Full Version : Normal mapping problems

RobboUK
03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys

I have been modelling a human model over the past few weeks which is to be used for animation

I will take you through my workflow so far which I am now beginning to think is not correct. My aim was to create the base mesh in ZBrush, re-topologise in Maya then sculpt in ZBrush and then bring the model back into Maya for Rigging and use Headus UV Layout for the UV'ing.

This is where I am having the problem, I have sculpted the character to a high enough standard for myself and exported the level 3 subdivided model to be used for the animation at around 60,000 polys.

I was then hoping to export the normal map of the 5th subdivision level so I could apply this in Maya and then hopefully UV the model. I get the feeling I have done this the wrong way around :rolleyes: and that I should have UV'd the model before beginning sculpting, is this right? As I have exported the normal map and it is totally wrong and seems to be missing alot of the detail.

Do you guys think there is any way of salvaging this? The level 5 subdivide model is around 800k Poly's and I really don't think it would be suitable for animation

Thanks for any help

Paul

runejw
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, generate a UV map first. The textures will relate to this.

Then generate Texture map, Normal map, displacement map etc.
Usually GoZ is the best way to bring over the model and associated maps. Otherwise (manually) one usually has to flip something around.

Anyway you write you want to use the Level 3 subdiv as base mesh...
AFAIK the normal map and displacement map will make the difference between the lowest subdiv and the highest - and the reason you have to be at the lowest subdiv when making them. So if you want the Level 3 to be your base mesh/lowest level then take DelLower.

Probably better answers than mine over at the Pixologic forum though

RobboUK
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the reply man

I have researched about it a bit more and after thinking about it I have came to the same conclusion as you. Basically as I have already done alot of sculpting on this model in ZBrush I am going to export the Level 3 model, UV it, and then import it into ZBrush add some more detail and then create a normal map from that.

Thanks for the Goz suggestion, I will have to look into that to see whether that is an easier solution. From the test that I did, I had to rotate the image file 180 degrees to make it work using a tutorial I was following and convert it into a Map file for use in Mental Ray.

Thanks again
Paul

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.