PDA

View Full Version : What are good "safety" colleges to apply for?

Andrewty07
03-07-2012, 06:20 AM
My interest is specifically animation and I won't be applying until the 2013 semester so I have plenty of time to research and plan. My goal right now is to shoot my portfolio/application to Ringling, SCAD and AAU but to be safe I was wondering what would be a good plan B if my top 3 fall though? I always hear about the top schools for animation but does anyone have smaller lesser known schools they can recommend? So far I might try the Laguna College of Art and Design

taxguy
03-07-2012, 07:46 PM
First, Ringling is NOT a safety. It is hard to get into. SCAD and especially AAU take everyone. All you need is money and a pulse.

School of Visual Arts isn't that hard to get into either. You should also consider Laguna College of Art and Design. Max the Mutt , up in Toronto Canada, is very strong in traditional animation and they have a deal with a US college for granting a degree.

Andrewty07
03-08-2012, 02:36 AM
I wasn't considering Ringling as a safety, it is my number 1 choice but because of how hard it is to get into I wanted to look for alternatives. Thanks for the suggestions though, I saw Laguna College of Art and Design's student animation reel and though it looked decent so I will at least visit the school.

Meloncov
03-26-2012, 12:04 AM
If you're applying to AAU, you have safety school covered. They accept virtually everyone. Unless you have a criminal record, it won't be a problem.

Panupat
04-02-2012, 12:01 PM
AAU has a really good animation classes teach by instructors from Pixar. It's quite competitive to get into this pixar animation class, so in case you decided to go to AAU, make sure you work hard and really, really motivate yourself.

Meloncov
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
AAU has a really good animation classes teach by instructors from Pixar. It's quite competitive to get into this pixar animation class, so in case you decided to go to AAU, make sure you work hard and really, really motivate yourself.

The Pixar classes at AAU don't exist anymore; all the Pixar people either stopped teaching, or moved to CCA or the AnimationCollaborative.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.