PDA

View Full Version : Mac Workspace on a PC??

OCT
11-19-2003, 01:53 AM
I was woundering if there is a way i can get my workspace to be like:
http://www.sonoma.edu/users/a/andersar/484/photoshop/images/photshop7basics.jpg

where there is no ugly grey workspace, instead i want to see my background. Any help??

wilson81
11-19-2003, 10:28 PM
i would be interested in this aswell, thanks in advance

Schwinnz
11-19-2003, 11:45 PM
What you can do is:

Don't make it fullscreen and resize your window... it works, not perfect but works

Ian Jones
11-20-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm amazed you'd want it to be like that. I have used photoshop on both pc's and mac's and have found that the background showing through is incredibly annoying, especially when you accidentally click on it. Not to mention that it is both visually distracting and mislleading when you are trying to make colour decisions / adjustments on your image.

name
11-20-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Ian Jones
I'm amazed you'd want it to be like that. I have used photoshop on both pc's and mac's and have found that the background showing through is incredibly annoying, especially when you accidentally click on it. Not to mention that it is both visually distracting and mislleading when you are trying to make colour decisions / adjustments on your image.

I agree...down with Macintosh I say. It always annoyed the crap out of me...like everything else associated with a Mac...pure gayness.

matty429
11-20-2003, 05:09 AM
Like This

Ian Jones
11-20-2003, 10:16 AM
"I agree...down with Macintosh I say. It always annoyed the crap out of me...like everything else associated with a Mac...pure gayness."

Although some things on a Mac can be irritating, in general I think your attitude to them is a bit severe. PC's certainly have their problems aswell. Learn to use both!

name
11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
My PC rarely has problems...I'd take a PC over a Mac anyday...but thats just my opinion. It is also my opinion that the PC is a superior computer in every way to a Mac. Macs just look pretty...but that hardly justifies there outrageous pricetag.

You say to learn to use both...well, I use both...much to my dismay. Macintosh makes everything i want to do harder than I can do it on a PC...everything is logical on a PC...Macs are quite the contrary. Of course...I could just be an idiot...who knows...I doubt it though.

Macintosh is like a cult IMO...I ask Mac users what makes them so great...what makes them better at graphics then PCs...i hear the same bs over and over...something about how they look cool and something else about how "everybody that does graphics uses them." Also they say Windows always "crashes"...LOL...I RARELY have problems with Windows. I do, however, constantly experience unstable behavior from all the G4's I use at school. I have to save like a madman for fear of the next crash which comes all too often. I don't know what these people are doing to there Windows machines to make them run so horribly but if you take care of your machine like anyone who uses a tool has to take care of it then it should run just fine.

I mean...I could be wrong...maybe there is something about a Mac that makes them superior in some way...I just have yet to experience it in any way whatsoever.

Maybe someone could enlighten me...I don't mean to offend Mac users...if you use a Mac and like it more power to you. It's definately good to have options out there, I'm just tired of this Macintosh and graphics propaganda and being forced to use, what I feel, is an inferior computer at school because of this strange belief that Macs handle graphics better...I just don't see it. I think it all comes down to the "prettiness" factor of Macintosh computers...I admit, they are very pretty machines :)

druid13
11-20-2003, 01:50 PM
everything has its pros and cons. but what i wanted to say - never ever judge a system by the stability of school/public machines - they are most often kind of "dirty". that's my personal experience. and by the way - is it the classic mac system (9) or the newer unix-based one running there? haven't been able to crash the last one yet ...

name
11-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by druid13
everything has its pros and cons. but what i wanted to say - never ever judge a system by the stability of school/public machines - they are most often kind of "dirty". that's my personal experience. and by the way - is it the classic mac system (9) or the newer unix-based one running there? haven't been able to crash the last one yet ...

You could very well be right about that, but I tend to think its the computer and not the staff taking care of them or anything like that. They were on OSX at school and they crash, freeze, reboot, etc. with an unacceptable frequency. It's not only the ones at school either...I used a Mac at work for a while and it was the same way. To me it's just unacceptable for your computer to crash for absolutely no reason whatsoever on a regular basis. Mind you...I only used them for graphic apps such as photoshop, illustrator, and maya...the very thing Macs are supposed to be great at handling

I can't remember the last time my PC crashed. It's always possible that if I owned a Mac and took care of it like you should that it would run fine...but I'm not about to pay the outrageous price for one to find out. Especially since my PC handles everything i want it to just fine. I guess I'm ranting about something that really makes no difference...Macs have just left a terrible impression on me.

I still want to know why people think they handle graphic apps better...someone please tell me there thoughts on that...I honestly would like to know...I've been trying to figure it out for some time now to no avail.

Ian Jones
11-21-2003, 12:56 AM
Personally I also like PC's more, but I also use MAC's and really don't have the problems you are describing. I can live with both.

I don't see any benefit to using a MAC for graphics at all so I agree that it is strange that the design industry tends to use them a lot. I think its more of a legacy system than anything else. If you really want to know whats best, just take a look at what the top visual effects and 3d animation companies are using. Then you'll know which platform is more effective. :)

Cost is the biggest issue overall. PC's win by a mile in that department.

Going back to the original discussion, I'm still curious (regardless of which platform) as to why you would use anything other than a low contrast, low impact neutral grey background for gfx? Anything else adversely affects your perception.

chach
11-21-2003, 02:31 PM
computers don't crash for 'no reason'.

name
11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by chach
computers don't crash for 'no reason'.

You're absolutely right about that...I mispoke...the reason they crash is because they are made by Macintosh. Thanks for correcting me. :p

sevenfingers
11-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Actually, they're made by Apple. And hell yeah, they're generally more stable than a Windows machine... especially if taken care of properly.

wolver1ne
11-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by sevenfingers
Actually, they're made by Apple. And hell yeah, they're generally more stable than a Windows machine... especially if taken care of properly.

Same goes for Windows machine. If taken care of properly, it won't crash.

matty429
11-22-2003, 04:11 PM
windows users = macs are gay

Mac user = pc's are gay

Linux user = you guys are gay

brobins
11-28-2003, 09:53 PM
i am an illustration student and use macs at college but i own a pc...im 50/50 about the whole thing....

but, ive found that macs generally are more stable due to the fact that make there own hardware and test it...in theory all the bits inside a mac work well together and will not conflict etc etc

however with pc's this is not the case, certain gfx cards have probs with certain motherboards which conflict with certian modems, cpu's etc etc etc then u need to wait for the problem to be resolved via a driver update which can get boring..

as far as graphics apps go, stuff like photoshop, director, illustrator....these are all initally developed for apple macs os so they bound to be more efficent on a mac...

but in reality there is feck all difference nowadays, a pc will do as good a job as a mac and vice versa, either will do....but when you start gettin into video editing and digital compositing then neither is the choice of profesionals.....stuff like Avid Systems and Flame and Inferno workstations are used...

jus my 2p

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.