PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a golf course + environment

KjergaardVFX
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey guys

Just started a new project at my school and im looking for the best way to create a single golf hole with an environment around.
So was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of how to get started on that? since im not the best at modeling but i wanna improve ofc :)

Kind regards
Kjergaard

_vine_
04-06-2012, 03:54 AM
How detailed do you want to get?

A golf course hole consists of a tee box, fairway, and green. The tee box typically contains three positions with markers for pro level, amateur and beginner (aka "ladies tees"). The fairway consists of smoothly mowed grass with "rough" (longer grass) on the sides. The green is the smoothest grass and is very tightly mowed and will contain the pin (aka "hole" and flag). A hole also consists of hazards like bunkers (aka "sand traps") and water (streams, lakes, etc.)

For the simplest type of hole, I would create a large plane and subdivide it a few times. I would then cut in the edges for the fairway and green. Keep in mind the tee box and green are often elevated from the fairway. I would also, cut in edges for areas where you want trees and shrubs in the rough. These tree and shrub areas are often mulched with pine straw (like Augusta National). Next I would cut in edges for bunkers and any water hazards and either pull the verts down or extrude the faces.

For materials, keep in mind that greens, fairways and rough are different shades of green. Greens are the lightest, fairways in the middle and rough the darkest. Also, bunkers are filled with a fairly bright white sand typically. Trees and shrubs will vary depending upon the location.

I would look at a bunch of real golf courses like Augusta National to get an idea of how some of the different areas should be shaped and placed to get a better sense of realism. Golf courses tend to follow certain conventions in how features are placed.

I hope this helps out with your endeavors.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2012, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.