PDA

View Full Version : Fire GL

sniper-x
11-18-2003, 09:34 PM
i am utilizing my company discount on 3d cards and am looking to purchase the best card on the market for 3d animation/rendering and video editing so if u could please gimmie the skinny on the hottest and newest that would be fly guys thanks 4 ur time!

:: -------------------------------------------- ::

curretnly i am looking into a ati fire gl an i am not to keen on the nVidea...so again...lol...please let me no!

elvis
11-18-2003, 10:03 PM
mate, I think perhaps you need to run a spell check over that post of yours.

basically your choices in the high-end are the ATi FireGL cards (in particular the X1), the nvidia QuadroFX cards (and in particular the 3000, or 3000 with genlock/framelock if video editing is your thing), and of course the 3DLabs Wildcat 4 cards (the 7110 and 7210 models).

as to which is best? the wildcats are still AGP Pro slot cards, i believe. if this is incorrect, someone please say so (i'm not a wildcat user at all, and haven't really kept up with their products for a while now). That said, you'll need a board with an AGP Pro slot to make the most of teh card.

the nvidia quadroFX cards aren't AGP Pro, and will plug into just about any AGP4X or better motherboard on the planet. nvidia's driver quality is quite good, and i've yet to find an application that has major hassles with an nvidia card. i can't say the same for ATi, although their drivers are getting better.

the 3DLabs wildcat cards won't support Microsoft Direct3D, but that's no drama if you don't use the machine to play games, or don't care about that sort of guff.

NVidia Quadro cards are great for a bit of game playing after hours. i've never tried a FireGL for gaming, but being based on Radeon hardware you'd expect it not to be too bad. i guess it depends on the drivers more than anything.

sniper-x
11-19-2003, 02:09 PM
well thanks and dont mind all the errors i have heard about those wildcat cards but ive never used them b4 thanx 4 ur time!

matty429
11-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Quadro is the best for OpenGl
FireGl Is good For Direct 3D

Find Out witch you use More....

Bpanting
11-19-2003, 05:32 PM
I have a fire GL X1 card and I am not overly thrilled with it. The driver support is pretty bad, and I have problems using Maya with dual monitors. If I had bought the card and not won it I would probalby be pretty ticked at ATI. My next card is most likely going to be a Quadro.

matty429
11-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Sheesh...tell me about it....Dual montors is absolute caca in Maya

Nvidias..work perfect....

GTI

Emmortal1
11-20-2003, 02:34 AM
I had recently purchased a Fire GL X2, the "supposide" top of the line card offered by ATI. I use Maya just so you know. The driver support was horrible, for the "top of the line" offering from ATI in the workstation department, all I can say of it's prformance is mediocre at best. I was getting better results with my Quadro 4 card. I sent the card back after going round and round with ATI's tech support and how they could be touting a card as top of the line when it doesn't work for crap with one of the most widely used 3D applications in the industry.

Anyway, that was definitlely the worst 780$ I've ever spent, and I'll never be able to get those 20 hours of trying to get it to work back.

I recently picked up a Quadro FX 3000 and it is by far the best card I've ever owned. I wouldn't recommend getting it, but I opted to go with the 3000 because I work on extremely high res models and am a texture artist, so it was within my budget and need.

You'd be well off with the Quadro FX 1000 or 2000, they work wonderfully for personal workstation cards and have no major flaws that I'm aware of with other 3D applications.

Emmortal

elvis
11-20-2003, 05:02 AM
it's a damn shame ATI don't put the same effort into their FireGL driver development that they have been putting into their Radeon drivers over the last 6 months.

maybe some more market share loss to nvidia will convince them to change things?

loop29
11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
I guess they are more thrilled to gain marketshare in consumer and midrange gaming market. Maybe it is necessary for them to shrink market share to non existant until they investigate into professional driver development :sad:

regards

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.