PDA

View Full Version : New P.C

RenderStream
11-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Im about to get this P.C:

Brief Description: Hyperthreading Ready!
-Intel P4 2.4GHz cpu with Intel heatsink and fan

-Albatron PM266A motherboard (CHECK IT OUT HERE <http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=56>) supports up to a Pentium 4 3.06GHz B class 533MHz fsb cpu

-sound 6-channel audio AC97

- Radeon 7000 64mb video card (temporary)

- 512 mb/256mb DDR ram

- 50GB HDD MAXTOR

-10/100 ethernet connection (highspeed ready)

-6 USB 2.0 Connectors on the back and 2 in the front of case!

Let me know what you guys think, and what you think should be changed. Take note this is being used for maya. Im also on a low budget and am getting all this for under 400$ !

mopelie
11-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Recomendations if affordable:

As far as a processor I have read that AMD Athlons are better then the P4 as far as staying affordable and better performance. If you are planing on keeping the cpu for a while I would try to invest in dual processors to get maximum performance. If you really want to spend the doe invest in some dual Xeons. Those are some stount processors there. But again to keep it affordable I think alot of people would recomend AMD Athon over P4 for 3d Apps. Athlons are no more in price then Pentiums.

There are many conflicting opinions on video cards. I have always used NVidia so I cant really compare what I have used to ones I have not. Radeons are very good but look and compare Radeons with the NVidia Quadro FX or maybe the NVidia GeForce FX 5700 or higher. I am not sure what the price is on the Radeon 7000 but I do know that NVidia GeForce FX 5700 is still pretty affordable. But again some people recomend Radeons others NVidias. I am just a big fan of NVidias.

As far as RAM and Hard Drive space. I would max it out as far as you can afford. I have a 30GB Hard Drive and I filled it pretty quick with video files, materials, and whatever else you can think of. Granted you can always add another Hard Drive later if need be. Ram...I love Ram, more ram more power( its like horsepower..the more the better). DDR ram perfoms extremely better then SDRAM. Again, you can always add more later.

I know what I recomended is much different then what you have posted but you can use it as a reference. The only thing I would change on your list is the Processor. Other then that you should be ok for the price you are getting it for. Good Luck!!

Look around on the forums and you should find some other posts similar to yours.

stucco

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.