PDA

View Full Version : Courses for independent improvement

Andrewty07
02-29-2012, 05:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone had suggested learning programs for CG in general? I am quite familiar with The Gnomon Workshop, Digital Tutors, FXphd and of course the local CGS workshops but is there any someone would recommend? I was quite interested in a couple upcoming CGS workshops then noticed that they cost more than a year subscription to Digital Tutors which left me in a state of investment contemplation.

Jussslic
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Eat3D, 3DMotive, and ZBrush Workshops are three other major players, and all of them have quality content. Eat3D and 3DMotive lean toward game development, but they're worth checking out for anyone and 3DMotive is really, really affordable... even if you only see two tutorials you like there it'd be worth it to get in for a month and then cancel the subscription when you've seen all you like.

I'm kinda in the same boat you are... I've done one CGS workshop and it was really good, but I haven't done another one yet because at this point I think I can make my money go further elsewhere.

My plan is to get as much as possible out of the cheaper training first, and then when I get to the point where I'm really ready to specialize I'll do a few workshop style courses. I'd really love to take Scott Eaton's anatomy workshop someday.

You should think about getting involved in some forum competitions. Just another great way to push yourself out of your comfort zone, keep the motivation up, and get some other sets of eyes on your work. Not necessarily the huge competitions like the Mudbox comp currently running here, but smaller monthly stuff like CGTalk's hardcore modeling challenge (sorta right in the middle of a round), or 3DTotal's sculpting/game-art (http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=107072) challenge (just started a new round).

Andrewty07
03-01-2012, 03:07 AM
I have heard of Eat3D but never looked into it or the others you mentioned, thanks for the insight. I like doing the challenges sometimes but I find that when I work on a guided project or tutorial I learn more. I think I might go for a subscription to Digital Tutors since they also offer a student discount and then I can soak in some knowledge there for about a year. Then maybe I will try one of the CGS workshops to see how they compare (though I know they also cost more because you are getting actual interaction with an instructor). Free learning is definitely out there as well which is how I have found a vast amount of knowledge or quick problem solutions.

Jussslic
03-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Digital Tutors is a great choice... they have an insane amount of content, and they pump out new training a lot faster than anyone else. Seems like they've been making an effort to cover the entire range from beginner to advanced lately too--I've always really liked their teaching style.

Good luck! Oh, also... I dunno if you do 2D at all, but ConceptArt.org (http://conceptart.org/forums/) has a sale running to raise money for a site redesign. Pretty much all their tutorials are $6.99 right now, but I admit some of their stuff is kinda advanced.

Andrewty07
03-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I have been enjoying the more advanced stuff lately usually because the more basic and beginner oriented lessons become a bit watered down with redundant topics and themes. Thanks for the heads up about conceptart.org's sale I will have to check that out, definitely some amazing artwork all over that site as well.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2012, 04:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.