PDA

View Full Version : Dielectric Material and Photon plug in

SinisterChef
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey guys,
I went through the tutorial in Mastering Maya covering the thread topic with a cup of water. It worked great and got excited with the possibilities, wanting to play around with the caustics of this material a bit more I made my own small scene followed the instructions from the tutorial in my own scene and I can not for the life of me get the caustics of my material to shine through my scene assets.

I have a wine bottle, with a green Dielectric shader attached and a dielectric_photon_material in the shader's photon plug in (just like in the tutorial). The photon plug attribute settings match that of the shader itself. I have caustics and ray tracing enabled through the rendering editor and I have the spot light emitting photons under the caustics and global illumination panel. And I can't get it to work.

I've stared at this for awhile now, and can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

KHing
03-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Firstly I would check the scale of the scene, this is a very common problem when handling with mental ray.

If the problem does not lie in the scale of your scene, I would increase the amount of photons emitting from the light source.

Hope this helps :)

InfernalDarkness
03-02-2012, 11:46 PM
You shouldn't be using the dielectric_material at all; it's been deprecated for many years.

Use the mia_material_x shader instead - it's physically correct and also renders faster, and will give you far more control over your shader, your caustics, and your renderings in the future.

You will put this single shader into your Material, Shadow, and Photon slots in your Shading Group. Using one, unified shader means you don't have to go back and forth between the old ones, on top of rendering faster and being physically accurate.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2012, 11:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.