PDA

View Full Version : error: what does it mean?

womanonfire
11-18-2003, 11:52 AM
i am using the demo version to rig a deer model. i am using the connection to maya5. i get the deer into messiah just fine (messiah -ad) then i make the skeleton/IK ...again everything going fine.
BUT
then i hit F12 to get it all back into Maya and i get an error which states:

"Skeleton is not a host compatible deformation object. Plugin cannot be applied"

what does this mean?
&
what to do?

mg3d
11-18-2003, 01:14 PM
try selecting the deer geometry and then hit f12. Messiah doesn't transfer bone info, just geometry.

hope that helps.
-mG

womanonfire
11-18-2003, 01:32 PM
when i do that i get the error:

"deer is already attached to the host. The plugin cannot be applied again."

is it that
unless i make an animation (keyframes) i will not see anything happen in maya?
i mean if it doen't transfer the bones and only geometry... i thought one could continue animating IN maya... go back and forth between the two programs...

? ? :surprised ? ?

womanonfire
11-18-2003, 01:44 PM
and could someone please explain to me the difference between the two commands:
messiah -ad
messiah -ax

?

an example of when would i use one, when would i use the other.

is -ad the correct command when doing this whole skeleton setup and animation thing?

mg3d
11-18-2003, 04:19 PM
<i mean if it doen't transfer the bones and only geometry... i thought one could continue animating IN maya... go back and forth between the two programs...>

that's not the case. You would do all your character animation in Messiah. Messiah doesn't transfer bones into a host app. Just the geometry. So you would rig and animate in messiah, send the mesh over to your host app (it carries over all the animation) info for the mesh. Do whatever lighting/texturing/rendering in the host app. But you can bounce back and forth between messiah and the host app to make changes to the character's animation. you cannot rig in messiah, and then animate the bones in the host app.

I hope that's clear enough.

:thumbsup:
-mG

womanonfire
11-18-2003, 09:37 PM
i see, alright, thank you, that is perfectly clear.

womanonfire
11-18-2003, 10:16 PM
but do you know what might be up with this other error i get when i hit F12 with the mesh selected?

"deer is already attached to the host. The plugin cannot be applied again."

because it is preventing me from getting any animation out of messiah and back into maya.
(maybe the error is because i am using a demo version? (i don't know what the limitaions of the demo version are.))

Nando
11-18-2003, 10:44 PM
If you did the -ad command and that placed your mesh in Messiah for animating and rigging then once you get out of setup mode in messiah and animate your mesh, the deformations should transfer over to Maya and you don't have to pres F12.

F12 is for when folks bring in the object into messiah first then want to auto connect to the host application , which doenst have a object in the scene.

womanonfire
11-18-2003, 11:20 PM
okay... well ...then i guess... it doesn't work.....

:surprised

i've switched back to maya a million times and never saw an update.

getting some sleep now, will try this again tomorrow.

Swissphil
11-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Don't know about Maya, but in Cinema4D I have to move a frame back and forth when switching back to C4d from Messiah. Seems it needs this input to refresh.
On my first tests I although thought that nothing was transfered until I moved one frame forward...

fwtep
11-19-2003, 06:56 AM
It sounds like you are pressing F12 every time you want to go back to Maya. Once it's connected to Maya, you don't have to press it again.

Fred

lmilton
11-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by womanonfire
okay... well ...then i guess... it doesn't work.....

:surprised

i've switched back to maya a million times and never saw an update.

Yeah, you definately need to update the frame. Let me explain:

When you connect an object, be it through the messiah commands in Maya or F12 in messiah, the connection is *live*. That means that Maya needs to "get" the displacement/transformation from messiah whenever it plays the animation. If you don't play the animation or advance the frame in Maya, it never asks messiah for the current state of the models.

So, here's the workflow:

1. connection the object (either through Maya commands or messiah F12)
2. access the messiah interface and setup/animate your character(s)
3. access the Maya interface and advance the frame, play the animation, or perform some other operation that will force Maya to update the animation.
4. repeat steps 2 & 3 as desired
5. save the scene in Maya

Let me know if this is clear.

-lyle

ps: this info applies to all messiah-supported host apps.

womanonfire
11-20-2003, 05:40 PM
okay, i'm sorry for being so slow at this.
i got it ! :)
i hadn't scrubbed through the timeline becuase i didn't see any keyframes in maya and that whole bone confusion.....

but alright.... everything is good now. if i can learn to use this messiah, and convince my partner (who actually knows how to animate ;) ) my company will buy it. we have many many deer to bring to life!

(in that case would be nice to know when there might be autorig for quarapeds & that .x exporter you guys are working on too.)

thank you for all your help!

womanonfire
11-20-2003, 06:07 PM
ah!
and i see, when you are in Setup mode and switch back to Maya the animation is not there. You have to be in Animate mode. yesyes :bounce:

lmilton
11-20-2003, 08:00 PM
okay, i'm sorry for being so slow at this.
i got it !
i hadn't scrubbed through the timeline becuase i didn't see any keyframes in maya and that whole bone confusion.....

but alright.... everything is good now. if i can learn to use this messiah, and convince my partner (who actually knows how to animate ) my company will buy it. we have many many deer to bring to life!

(in that case would be nice to know when there might be autorig for quarapeds & that .x exporter you guys are working on too.)

You shouldn't feel bad about not getting the concept right away. If you're only used to import/export animation systems, I'm sure that this whole Live Connection thing is quite foreign... and may even be a little spooky when you see it in action for the first time;)

As far as the .x and quadrupeds, I can't say *exactly* which patch they're coming, but I can say that those features are in progress and are considered part of messiah:animate 4 (even though we didn't announce them). So they will be free within the next couple of patches.

ah!
and i see, when you are in Setup mode and switch back to Maya the animation is not there. You have to be in Animate mode. yesyes :bounce:

Note that it only functions that way if you access the interface. If you never go into the messiah interface, it is *always* assumed to be in Animate... as it should be:)

I'm glad we were able to help and that you got it all working! Don't hesitate to post if you have any further questions or comments.

Happy animating,

-lyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.