PDA

View Full Version : Environment : Lava room "from game"

[I ALEX I]
11-18-2003, 08:28 AM
I hope you all like this image. It is an image from a game Im working on right now.

http://www.deskstudio.net/Upload/alexbox/Bilder/2003-11-181540375789821147.jpg

atenyotkin
11-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Nice texturing and lighting. Not sure about the concept of lava under a metal walkway. I mean it has been done before, but it never felt like it could happen in real life. To be honest with you, I am not even sure why. Perhaps because it would melt the supporting pipes. If I were you/level modeler, I would suspend the bridge/walkway from the ceiling. If you could perhaps take the shots a bit closer--it's kind of hard to make out small details from current screenshot. BTW, what game-engine are you using?:thumbsup:

[I ALEX I]
11-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks fore your comment. You say "Perhaps because it would melt the supporting pipes". And that is the hole ide. There is a time limit in the game.

VerticalVertex
11-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Looks interesting...

[I ALEX I]
11-18-2003, 06:36 PM
I Am now woking on new textures on the image and a bit new modeling.

eirenicon
11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
If the supports are made of steel, they wouldn't melt. Lava is at most 2000F, steel melts at around 2500F. Iron's melting point is even higher.

atenyotkin
11-18-2003, 07:41 PM
No, you are right Timothy, steel probably wouldn't melt, but I am not so sure everyone playing the level would know the melting point :-)

I kind of got the idea that the whole point of the lava room is that it would collapse eventually (time limit or not.) However, assuming that this structure was there for a while, what would make it fall within the time limit that the player is there? What makes it fall while the player is playing the level? Besides, unless it's set to detonate with an explosive device, the player wouldn't really know that the bridge would calapse in say 5 minutes. See where I am coming from?

The whole reason I suggested to suspended with trusses, is because it's more believable that it the structure would calapse as the player is there (under weight.)

Once again, that's all personal opinions, and I still love the way the room is setup. The only reason I even thought of all this is because it's on a forum. If I were to play the level a few months from now, without seeing this post, I wouldn't really care that much. I'd probably just pay attention to the lighting and small details.

Keep up the good work man.

[I ALEX I]
11-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Uppdate

http://www.alexbox.net/3.jpg

charithmax
11-19-2003, 03:03 AM
looks really good, i like it!, hope that you'll show us some more pics:thumbsup:

[I ALEX I]
11-19-2003, 07:54 AM
Yea, some new pics are soon comming. :scream:

TheRow
11-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Looks nice.. the lava how ever looks a bit tiled.. try working out something else there.. only my opinion but thats what c&c are for

[I ALEX I]
11-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the tip. Im gone look in to it.

[I ALEX I]
11-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Here is an new image.
http://www.alexbox.net/4.jpg

leigh
11-21-2003, 12:10 AM
It looks nice but wouldn't bricks melt in the lava? :shrug:

[I ALEX I]
11-21-2003, 08:37 AM
tru. but that is the point.:thumbsup:

TheRow
11-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Just thought I would give some more C&C

Much better lava.. thou the briks are colder than the lava (Dooh!)
So the lava around the bricks should have gone black and hardend a bit i guess... aslo the hot lava would prob make the iron bars how to say.. :hmm: can't find the word.. glow red if u know what I'm aming at... at the bottom..
Try also to add some more hight to the black areas of the lava... what I have seen in movies and so on the hardend lava seems to float on the melted one...

...nice but not realy there... keep going and u will sell atleast 10 more games just from this scene :D

[I ALEX I]
11-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Here is the frontpage cover.
http://www.alexbox.net/alexbox.jpg

TheRow
11-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Why not u say?
well the image is nice and all but as of now there need to be some more indications to what to do in the game.. (if it is to be cover material that is..)
Is it a shoter? Then add some kind of charecter with a big gun
If it is some kind of horror game.. more darkness.. (ditch the roof light)

Another thing I saw just now is the "net" that u walk on.. try adding some corrode or dirt maps on that.. aslo some bigger holes will give it a bit more older look... (if it is that your going for..)
and the things u hold in.. what they cald.. hmm... "seftythingis" should be a bit thicker.. they have to be counstrocted to hold at least a fully grown mans body weight... they look weak.

(Hope u don't mide but I did a fast drawing to ilustrate the shooter image.. that I got in my head when I saw the image.. tok about 5mins or so)

I'm realy looking foward beeing able to play the game.. keep hammering.... :wip:
btw can u give us an realse date or it is to early for that?

[I ALEX I]
11-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks. I do realy like the ide. Thanks agane. And I see what I can do.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.