PDA

View Full Version : Animation: New Character Anim!!!

Volker
11-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Hey everyone, here is my second anim with the Big Green Bear.
Hope you all like it, let me know what you think.

http://www.zachvolker.com/images/beardeath.jpg

Animation - 750KB Divx 5.1 (http://www.zachvolker.com/animations/beardeath.avi)

Thanks,

~Zach

Bullseye
11-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Hey BabyHopper, I think this anim looks great overall. Just a couple things that I saw that may need tuning. The lip synch is very good right up until the end, when he says "its not us" you cant see how mouthing those last two words. I realize that his head turns but I think that his mouth is in the wrong phoneme for the "us" part. One other thing is I see a little pop in the right leg as he steps back in the end. Also when he clenches his hands a bit during the "its just that we've got this thing about death". I think maybe he should clench a bit more with his thumb, and maybe have his overall expression have a thought of death.

Just some thoughts. Overall great stuff though baby

smoke
11-19-2003, 04:07 PM
I like the overall body expressions and movement.
I can't really see the mouth that well to comment on the lip-sync

BazyBen
11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
looks nice, cool character
but maybe you should work a little more on the lipsync

mattmos
11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Very nice short anim. The bear looks great apart from the folding arms which might need some shape animation/rigging to sort out.

The bits where the bear comes forward are great, and the expressions work very nicely. I do feel that the animation could be slightly snappier, but maybe that's personal taste. Particularly in the last movement the hands seem to drift rather than get drawn back. And have to agree with the previous comments about that final 'it's not us' not quite working.

Good stuff, keep it coming :thumbsup:

CoolCalb
11-19-2003, 08:35 PM
great animation!

one crit, in the end, when he walks backwards..

when walking backwards, the toes hit the floor before the ankle..
exactly the opposite from regular front walk..

the contact with the floor should be with the toes, and use them
as the foot rotation axis, then the ankle should come down.

other than that really great!

Chong
11-19-2003, 09:00 PM
i think that's pretty cool,Nice job:thumbsup: I like your acting ideas but i think you could put just a little more into it. The character's voice seems a little more nervous than you portrayed him and i think it would sell better if you sharpened up his movements a little. For example his arms seem to float to their next pose while he says "...not that we're afraid"... and the "...it's just that we got...." part. Tightening the movement up or adding a gesture(especially the second part i mentioned) would help the shot.
also, he's missing weight shift when he steps throughout most of the shot, adding that subltely, especially when he starts from his still position and steps( "...far from it..."), would also help the animation work better.
my2cents

Volker
11-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Bullseye, good eye on that foot pop, just need to adjust that curve. And yes, the "us" morph isn't the best, just the default pose actually. I should go back and add a new target. CoolCalb, actually that is exactly what i did, maybe I need to exagerate it more? Mattmos, I don't know that much about rigging, so it isn't the greatest job. I'll look into smoothing out those arms. They really bug me too. Maybe a Joint Angle Deformer? As far as the snappiness in that last pose, it could definatly be taked that way, but I decided to make it more of an "exiting" action, instead of him taking a stand. I'll be back with some fixes soon.

Thanks again!

~Zach

CoolCalb
11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
yep his left leg does looks ok..
I gues his right foot caught my eye.. there you
should exagerate the toes/ankle thing :)

Volker
11-20-2003, 12:50 AM
All right, made some changes here.

1) Changed some morph targets, and moved the keys round to look better, and match audio. I added a target for "us", and it looks great in the preview, but it gets lost in the low light.
2) Added more left/right motion in his walk. It was already there, but now a bit less subtle.
3) Smoothed out the right foot as he steps backwards.

Had some trouble trying to get a joint deformer on him, so no luck with that.

Chong, I like your comments about making him more snappy, but i wanted to try and stay away from the stereotypical, "snap into pose and hold, then snap into another pose and hold.." routine. I hope I was sucessful, and even though maybe not to your likeing, I hope it still looks decent.

Same Animation File - Divx 5.1 700KB (http://www.zachvolker.com/animations/beardeath.avi)

The changes are there, but subtle. Haven't changed anything big yet. Thanks for all the input, and please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks,

~Zach

Bullseye
11-20-2003, 01:45 AM
The knees seem to still be popping baby, not sure if its a ik/fk problems or something, but I can see a definite jump in the movement at the knee joints. I think the side step of the right leg looks good, the only thing that bugs me is the final stepping back and the knee joints popping. I guess I'm repeating myself now. I think your right about the lack of light on the face during the "its not us", see if you can crank up the fill a bit so you can see the lips a bit more. Maybe even have a really soft light just for lighting his face and articulating the phonemes.

No other crits, looks great otherwise.

Good Job,
Dustin

Chong
11-20-2003, 02:45 AM
sry for the confusion, i liked your acting choices:). I also didn't mean to make the timing snappier. I meant "tighter" in the sense that sometimes his arms float to their next positon. They just feel too linear and it doesnt seem to fit with the voice acting or the rest of the animation. It can still be a fluid motion, but with some weight in the arm, or a little quicker. it does still work, i just think this would add it.

charithmax
11-20-2003, 06:48 AM
nice work!:thumbsup:

lip sync has to be more realistic i guess.

RedSilas
11-20-2003, 06:57 AM
I like the movement of the character and the hand gestures but the elbows and shoulders are not deforming correctly at all. Really distracting. You might want to adjust your envelopes or rig. Also, you could increase the bounce light from the floor to reveal more of your characters face to show the lip-sync. Over-all nice work, but it's details that really make animation pop! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.