PDA

View Full Version : Moving sun during renders good or bad?

Darkmalan
02-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Just thought I'd throw a quick question out there to see what people think.
I'm currently working on an exterior scene of a house with lots of trees etc and I want to render the front of the house and also the back. I initially set up my lighting for the front view which looks nice but from the back its 99% in shadow and looks really flat.

My question is when doing a series of render of the same scene would it be a bad idea to change the lighting for each shot to suit that particular shot? My initial thought would be that this is a bad idea as it could confuse the viewer when looking at multiple renders with the light and shadows at a different angle for each render ... but the quality of each render would be better.

What do you guys normally do in this scenario?
Thanks in advance
Kyle

Seraph135
02-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Its not a bad thing at all...BUT...

If your doing architecture renders for example and the point of the renders is to show off the architecture then I think its fine. In fact, I think its a good thing to show off the building the best way possible. However, if your trying to tell a story which needs to make sense from shot to shot then I think its better to work on your lighting so that the back of the house looks good even in shadow. You could maybe change the time of day so that it just looks like you photographed the back of the house later that same the day.

Tim J

Darkmalan
02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Tim I think I will try both approaches and see which works best!

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.