PDA

View Full Version : quads tris or both?

Mr. Ferguson
11-18-2003, 05:24 AM
When you are modeling something in Quads is it Ok to have a few tris in there?

Also I am not a fan of working purely in tris, its just too messy once you get over 500 or so polys so I tend to use about half, triangulating the areas that I know would be problematic if done automatically and tweaking after doing an auto triangulate. Is this a bad method, or is it best to keep the models purely quads or tris throughout the process?

Iysun
11-18-2003, 05:34 AM
if your gonna ber using sub d's its best to stay with quads as much as possible, and use tri's in places where it is not to noticible, just sub divide your model and if it looks bad where your tris are fix um up;)

tburbage3
11-20-2003, 05:07 AM
For pure polygonal modeling, some triangles are almost inevitable even when you are trying for the most part to use quads. It is very easy for quads to become non-planar, and sometimes it is practical to fix it but often the problem areas do need to be tripled. As long as the mesh is otherwise clean, I don't see that as a problem.

Some packages apparently handle triangles and ngons better than others in geometry which is a subdivision surface cage, but quads there are almost always best.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.